10 day old Pug red added Desitin but nothings working. 4 days but not as bad as it is now, what else can I use. No meds

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: 10 day old Pug red Butt added Desitin but nothings working
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Pug's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: 4 days but not as bad as it is now, what else can I use
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. When did the Pug last see a vet? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: No meds they are only 10 days old , no vet yet
JA: What's the Pug's name and age?
Customer: No name yet 10 days old for the third time
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by BrandonG102 in 19 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
BrandonG102
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Good afternoon, I’m Dr. Gates and I’m happy to assist you this today.

My job here is to assess whether or not you pet needs to be examined and diagnostic tests run or if we can manage things safely at home.

I will do my best to go through everything with you and give you my professional advice based on the history and clinical signs. The more information I have the better the job I can do to help get you some answers for your pet.

Unfortunately, I have no way of seeing when you asked your original question, as we are just independent contractors and answer questions as they come up in our chat window. Therefore, I apologize if no one answered your question, as we all have full-time jobs and try to help people in our off time.

However, I don’t want you to go without an answer. Please don't leave a bad review if you don't like the service as it's a review of my answer and not of the service or format. For issues with JustAnswer, please contact customer service.

I'd recommend preventing licking of the area as this delays healing and can cause more inflammation/irritation.

Puppies require stimulation to get them to defecate. If the puppies are irritated, then it may be due to loose stools and or urine scalding. Unfortunately, it will take some time for the skin to heal.

You can try warm compresses soaked in an epsom salt used once or twice daily.

You may also have to use a steroid cream which can cut down on the irritation and inflammation.

You can try hydrocortisone cream as well.

Again, if the puppies are still with the bitch/dam then try to minimize licking.

I asked a veterinary dermatologist for her intake. Here is her response: "I would recommend having their vet check a cytology and a deep skin scraping to get some baselines. If there is infection present (likely), I would treat it based on culture for 4+ weeks. Cytology will also help determine if yeast are present which can contribute to infection and inflammation and would require treatment. I would also consider a topical antimicrobial like silver sulfadiazene- that could be used on a regular/ on-going basis (if we can control inflammation and infection we might be able to taper this to once or twice weekly potentially) since the dermatitis will likely continue.  Finally, I would consider using a chlorhexidine wipe on the areatwice daily as part of the maintenance regime."

I hope this information was helpful and that the puppy is back to normal soon. You can provide updates and ask follow-up questions by picking up the chat in the window and I will answer when I am next online. Thank you for using Just Answer and have a wonderful day!

If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. I invite you to ask me any follow-up questions. Thank you for using our site and for trusting me to answer your question.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BrandonG102
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BrandonG102
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.