She got into the Halloween candy! Small dog - 15lb shih-tzu schnauzer mix. With a stomach of steel. It was within the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She got into the Halloween candy!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Small dog - 15lb shih-tzu schnauzer mix. With a stomach of steel
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since eating the candy?
Customer: it was within the past hour. She’s totally fine. She ate two small Twix, an small reese’s, and a little Milky Way square
JA: And what's the Schnauzer's name and age?
Customer: Bella, age 9 or 10. At some point she was a stray so she may not be bothered???
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: shes veey healthy Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Dr-C in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr-C
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. This is Dr. C and I have extensive experience as an ER veterinarian. I know how important your pet is to you and I appreciate you entrusting me as part of their care team.

The phone call prompt (for an extra fee) is automatically generated by the website so feel free to decline. I cannot make a diagnosis or prescribe medications without an exam, but I can make my best recommendations based on the information you give me.

It will take me a number of minutes to type out a response to your question since I try to be very thorough in my recommendations based on your unique issues, so please bear with me.

Customer
Ok thank you

The good news is that there is not enough theobromine (the toxic component of the chocolate) in a dog Bella's size with those types of candy. She will be fine with that.

The only concern is the fat and sugar and the wrappers.
I assume she also ate the wrappers?

How long ago did she eat the candy?

Customer
She left most of the wrappers!
Customer
Within the past hour
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 11:03:32 PM
Customer
She has eaten cardboard before

Wow! I have never seen a dog unwrap a candy. She is talented.

Customer
Hahaha
Customer
She's particular about what she eats LOL
Customer
Meaning anything unwrapped
Customer
All with about 1/2-1/3 of her teeth

I think she will be fine.

If anything there is sugar and fat in the chocolate, but if she has a strong stomach this will not likely affect her.
You can feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days if she does get some vomiting or diarrhea.

Customer
Should I give her a small dinner? She seems totally fine - in how long would I expect to see any symptoms? She's my first dog and I've had her for a year

Yes, as long as she is acting normally it is fine to give her dinner. If she is still normal 6 hours after she eats the chocolate she will likely be fine. If it is 24 hours and she is not having issues she definitely will not have any issues like diarrhea.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. I would love to explain anything further that seems confusing or doesn't make sense to help ease your mind. Thank you for using our site. I also can continue to answer any further questions you might have over the next few days here on this chat thread. I hope Bella starts feeling better soon!

Customer
Hi - yes! I was pretty freaked out
Customer
I'm going to feed and walk her like normal and then keep an eye on her.
Customer
Maybe a little less than normal...
Customer
Bella is fine - I'm the one that needs to feel better LOL

I hope you can relax now :)

Customer
Thanks!

You're welcome :)

Customer
To be honest I was so freaked out I just found your site online so you could be anyone - I'm hoping it's legit (no offense) but you have been lovely!
Customer
I'm grateful for Sunday night candy trauma management!

We are all licensed veterinarians. Just working from home. I am glad it all turned out well.

Customer
Thanks!!!

You're welcome

Customer
She just threw up
Customer
Her dinner wasn't included!

There is not much chocolate in that, so that is good. Typically when a dog has a chocolate toxicity their vomit is dark brown and smells like chocolate. The sugar and fat likely did upset her stomach.

You can fast her for the next 6-12 hours and then feed some boiled chicken and rice for a few days and this issue should resolve on its own.

Try not to let her eat grass since this can make the vomiting worse :)

Customer
I shouldn't have given her dinner. I will do my best to keep her away from the grass too!
Customer
She won't eat again until about 7am and its 6:30pm where I am now, so perfect

That sounds like a good plan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr-C
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr-C
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.