My dog ate a whole bag of snack size reeses. Hes a 6 month old Australian shepherd and weighs around 25 lbs. I dont know

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog ate a whole bag of snack size reeses
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the dog? How much of the bag was eaten?
Customer: Hes a 6 month old Australian shepherd and weighs around 25 lbs. I dont know how many were in the bag, but my boyfriend is at walmart looking. My dog ate probably at least 20
JA: Has he thrown up since this happened?
Customer: No. And I'm not sure how long ago it happened. I was at work for 8 hours and came home on my lunch break
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Koda. 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by Dr-C in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr-C
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. This is Dr. C and I have extensive experience as an ER veterinarian. I know how important your pet is to you and I appreciate you entrusting me as part of their care team.

May I ask some questions so I can best help you?

Are they reeses pieces or reeses peanut butter cups?

Did he eat the wrappers as well?

Is Koda acting normally?

Customer
Reeses peanut butter cups.
He ate all of the brown paper things inside, most of the packaging from each, the bag it came in and the grocery bag it was in.
Hes mostly normal, he's whining and burping a LOT and he drank a little bit of water

The good news is that there is not enough theobromine (the toxic part of chocolate) in 20 snack sized reeses peanut butter cups. My biggest concern at this point is the wrappers, since these can cause a lot of irritation to the stomach.

Since it has been hours since he likely ate the candy inducing vomiting will not likely help but if you want to try feed him some bread or canned dog food, wait 5-10 minutes and then give him 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a dropper or syringe. He should vomit within 15 minutes.

Another option is to give him a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin with his meals to bulk up his ingesta and he should pass the wrappers within a few days in his stool. If he has some vomiting or diarrhea from the sugar and fat you can also feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and the issue should resolve in a few days.

If Koda vomits more than 3 times in a 24 hour period, or he stops eating he should be seen by a veterinarian at that time for an exam and x-rays. If he is not vomiting and still eating it means that he is not having issues with anything getting stuck.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. I would love to explain anything further that seems confusing or doesn't make sense to help ease your mind. Thank you for using our site. I also can continue to answer any further questions you might have over the next few days here on this chat thread. I hope Koda starts feeling better soon!

Customer
Do I need to make him vomit more than once? I'm sure his belly is just full of plastic

I would only induce vomiting once, but definitely do not give more than two doses. As soon as he vomits everything up if you give more hydrogen peroxide it can really irritate his stomach.

Customer
Okay, thank you.

You're welcome

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr-C
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr-C
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.