I think my dog ate dark chocolate. He’s a very small breed. I just found him last Sunday. I took him to the vet but they

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I think my dog ate dark chocolate
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the dog? How much of the dark chocolate was eaten?
Customer: He’s a very small breed. I just found him last Sunday. I took him to the vet but they weren’t able to tell me what breed he was. He’s 1 lbs. 5 oz. Not sure I found a piece of chocolate on the floor. He’s breath doesn’t smell like chocolate
JA: Has he thrown up since this happened?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: about 6 weeks Casstile cass for short
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He was an antibiotic medication for parasites what she just finished a day ago. So he was starting to become a little bit more active.
Answered by MiriamR41 in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
MiriamR41
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Good evening, my name is***** and I can help you with your question. Please know that I am not able to prescribe any medication over this forum per state law. The system may generate a phone call offer but I am not able to speak on the phone at this time. Simply press decline on the prompt if it comes up, it is coming from the website, not from me. Please let me know if you would like to continue.

Customer
I would like to continue with there being medication would it be any type of medication that he would need or do I find a vet hospital?

I don't think he will be needing a medication but given his very small size and possibility for dark chocolate ingestion, I would recommend making him vomit. How long ago did he eat the chocolate?

Customer
I just found a piece of chocolate on the floor maybe 20 minutes ago so probably within the hour
Customer
If I would have to guess

OK. Do you have any hydrogen peroxide?

Customer
No I do not
Customer
I can buy some
Customer
I just found him on the streets about two weeks ago I took him to the vet last week he was on a course of anabiotic's for parasites that just finished two days ago. I've been giving him vitamins

If you could. Then go ahead and give 1 teaspoon by mouth. He should vomit within 10min

Customer
Ok then what do I do after?
Customer
He's maybe 6 weeks old
Customer
Is there any signs I need to look out for after he vomits

If he vomits up the chocolate, monitor him for any continued vomiting or diarrhea. If he ate a lot of it, you may see him acting like he is hyperactive. If you notice this, I would take him to an emergency vet for monitoring as he could have ingested a toxic dose

Customer
Right now he's just waiting to sleep in dark places.
Customer
Wanting

It's a good sign if he wants to sleep

Customer
Ok
Customer
Should I follow up with you after he vomits?
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 10:09:58 PM

Yes please let me know if he vomits

Customer
This is the chocolate I think he ate.

OK that chocolate would be worrysome if he ate more than a small piece of it

Customer
I don't think he had a big piece of it because I was breaking it up and eating some of it . but I found a small piece of it on the floor that's why it concerned me me

How many pieces are in that box? I can calculate what the toxic dose would be

Customer
This is how small he is
Customer
8 pieces
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 10:23:35 PM

If he ate an entire square, that would be deadly for him. If he ate half, it would cause seizures. If he ate 1/4 it would cause vomiting and diarrhea only

Anything less that a quarter of a square would not cause any clinical signs

Customer
Should I keep them up and alert or should I let them sleep? It might have been less then 1/2 that's for sure

Go ahead and let him sleep as long as you don't notice any tremors or seizures

Customer
But I still give him the hydrogen peroxide?

I would, yes

Customer
Ok
Customer
I'm still waiting for the hydrogen peroxide to be delivered

Please let me know if he does not vomit

Customer
He seems to be eating his food like he's hungry

If he hasn't shown any signs by now, he didn't eat enough chocolate to effect him. You probably can forgo the hydrogen peroxide now

Customer
Ok
Customer
Follow up with my vet tomorrow?

Might be a good idea to check in with them to make sure

Customer
Well do

Sounds good. Have a nice evening

Customer
You too. From the picture I sent you would you be able to tell the breed

I would guess Chihuahua terrier mix

Customer
Ok thank you

You're welcome

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
MiriamR41
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
MiriamR41
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.