She constantly shaking recently lost weight she's a little Weiner dog bout6. She has a problem walking she's not eating

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She constantly shaking recently lost weight she's a little Weiner dog bout6
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did this shaking start? Have you noticed any coughing, limping, or drooling as well?
Customer: She has a problem walking she's not eating normal either
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nichol she's 6
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She did have diarrhea. She helps sometimes when you pick her up but not lately
Answered by Dr-C in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr-C
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. This is Dr. C and I have extensive experience as an ER veterinarian. I know how important your pet is to you and I appreciate you entrusting me as part of their care team.

The phone call prompt (for an extra fee) is automatically generated by the website so feel free to decline. I cannot make a diagnosis or prescribe medications without an exam, but I can make my best recommendations based on the information you give me.

It will take me a number of minutes to type out a response to your question since I try to be very thorough in my recommendations based on your unique issues, so please bear with me.

May I ask some questions so I can best help you?

How long has it been since Nichol has not been eating well?

Are her gums nice and pink?

Is she acting weak mainly in her back legs?

Customer
She hasn't been eating normal for couple weeks. Her gums blackish pink. I think her back legs are the weakest
Customer
No phone calls

What you are describing makes me really suspicious for back pain with Nichol. The owner will notice pain or distress but this does not usually accompany any vomiting or diarrhea.

The following symptoms are common with back pain:

• The dog is slower than normal and hesitant to jump up or down off of furniture or go on stairs
  • Staring straight ahead
  • Trembling
  • Whining when picked up or touched on the belly or back
  • A bloated or tight stomach ( the abdominal muscle are trying to take the strain off of the back)
  • Not wanting to eat as much
  • Not having a bowel movement during normal times (it hurts to posture)
  • Walking or standing with a hunched or arched back and tail tucked

Depending on how painful the back is you may not notice all of these things.

IVDD (or disk disease) is really common in dachshunds. This causes wobbly back legs and pain, this pain can cause a dog to stop eating as much and they may start vomiting.

Back pain is common in small dogs and is usually from disk disease that happens naturally as the dog ages or potentially from a strained muscle from jumping off of furniture or playing too roughly.

Does back pain sound possible with her?

Customer
back pain seems bout right. What can I do for her?

I would recommend scheduling an exam with her primary care veterinarian as soon as possible so they can verify the diagnosis and get her on some treatment for what is found.

When I see a dog that is trembling or acting painful at the clinic I perform a thorough exam and can oftentimes locate a painful area in the neck or spine using a specialized palpation technique, if I can't then I would offer bloodwork and/or x-rays to look for other potential causes.

At home no running, jumping, playing for at least 2 weeks and you will need to leash walk outside during this time with a harness.

There are not safe or effective medications over the counter for this issue, but if you wanted to warm compress the back that may help relax the muscles, just make sure you use a hot washcloth wrapped in a plastic bag so you don't cause a burn. If you have previously been prescribed pain medication for dogs you can likely safely administer those medications. Gabapentin or tramadol are really safe and effective options, but they are both by prescription only.

Since she is also having some vomiting and diarrhea I would feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days with some canned pumpkin mixed in. A dog probiotic like Purina Fortiflora or some plain yogurt is also good to add.

If she continues to vomit you can also give omeprazole (Prilosec OTC). Give 0.5mg per pound once every 24 hours for the next few days. This is an antacid you can purchase over the counter at a drug store or grocery store.

If Nichol is looking worse in any way, is having trouble breathing, becomes weak, does not eat for more than 24 hours, or is having trouble walking in her back legs she should go to the ER as soon as possible.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. I would love to explain anything further that seems confusing or doesn't make sense to help ease your mind. Thank you for using our site. I also can continue to answer any further questions you might have over the next few days here on this chat thread. I hope Nichol starts feeling better soon!

Customer
She's not a very affectionate dog. It Was my wife's mom's dog and she passed so we got her

I am sure she is not feeling well now, so that is probably making things worse. There are some treatments that can help her feel better so I would get her seen as soon as possible. In the meantime you can rest her and try giving the antacid and bland diet to see if that helps her appetite. There is also a chance she has a back issue plus another disease causing the vomiting/diarrhea and weight loss but her vet can help you determine what is going on.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr-C
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr-C
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.