I just noticed that the right side of my Dog's Face has swollen up quite a bit. It's happened in the last hour or so...

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Hi, I just noticed that the right side of my Dog's Face has swollen up quite a bit. It's happened in the last hour or so... He doesn't appear to be in any pain...
JA: Have you noticed the dog licking at the swelling?
Customer: It's his face that is swollen. So, he can't really lick it... But he is licking a little. And has been licking more recently... But, this is specifically his face that is swollen right now.
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** is almost 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I don't think so... Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Dr. Nicholls in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Nicholls
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi! My name is***** am happy to help you and your pet today! Please hold on one moment while I review the information you provided. Feel free to disregard any requests for a phone call as those are automated requests.

Please be aware, although I am a licensed veterinarian, I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet.  Therefore,  I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you and advise you to seek medical attention.

This sounds like a reaction like a bee sting.  Can you send a picture?

Customer
Hello!
Customer
Thank you for getting back to me.
Customer
I don't believe it's a Bee Sting...
Customer
I have a picture I can send.

Ok did it just happen all of the sudden or was it gradual

Customer
All of a sudden.
Customer
He was sleeping for a while after our walk this morning, then he got up to get some food and I noticed his face was swollen...

OK send the pic if you can

Customer
He did stop on our walk... like something had happened...
Customer
maybe it was a bee sting, and I just didn't see it happen.
Customer
but he didn't yelp or anything...
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 8:57:11 PM
Customer
He doesn't appear to be in any pain...
Customer
Which is the odd thing...
Customer
it must be a reaction of some kind...

He is so handsome!  I have boxers so I love the smoosh faced dogs.  Well this can be an allergic reaction.  Benadryl can help that.  It typically comes in 25mg tablets and the dose is 1mg/lb (or as close as possible.  This can be repeated up to every 8 hours.

Customer
Thank you so much, I appreciate it.
Customer
Ok, do you know how quickly that will start working?

If ever he is having a hard time breathing I would take him to a vet to be evaluated.

Customer
Yeah, he's about 20 pounds.

1 tablet of 25mg is fine

Customer
He doesn't seem to be in an pain or discomfort... and he's kind of acting like nothing has happened.
Customer
Ok, great.

Good thats why Im recommending benadryl rather than going to an er vet

Customer
I am going to run out and grab some Benadryl... and if I don't see any change in the next hour or two, maybe I should go see a vet then?

not a bad idea

Customer
Ok, thank you. I was pretty worried. But he's been stung by a be before and this does seem similar... I just don't recall him reacting to any kind of sting... but I'll try this first.
Customer
Thank you so much.

You are very welcome.  Good luck! It was a pleasure to work with you.

If in the event you have any follow up questions please feel free to reach out to me.

Customer
Thank you, ***** ***** it. And I will.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Nicholls
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Nicholls
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.