I have a 10 month old miniature Australian Shepherd. He ate about four-five pieces of gum containing sorbitol and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 10 month old miniature Australian Shepherd . He ate about four-five pieces of gum containing sorbitol and aspartame. It’s been about 30 to an hour . He hs no signs of vomiting as of yet do I need to take him to the emergency vet ?
JA: The Expert will know if the Australian Shepherd will be okay to digest the pieces. What's the Australian Shepherd's name and age?
Customer: Harlow he is 10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that is all as of now thank you
Answered by MaryO1228 in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
MaryO1228
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Mary with Just Answer- Sorbitol and aspartame will just cause a mild upset stomach.  It is xylitol that is very toxic for dogs.

Customer
Should I be concerned about any intestinal blockage? When should I worry

The gums should pass.  I would give a piece of wheat bread to help it pass.  I would only worry if there is vomiting multiple times.

Customer
Okay thank you so much

You are welcome- Do you have any other questions?

Customer
That is all thank you

You are welcome

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
MaryO1228
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
MaryO1228
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.