My dog is struggling with congestion and breathing. Started yesterday and today is seems to have gotten worse. Also

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog is struggling with congestion and breathing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this congestion happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the dog have a cough as well?
Customer: Started yesterday and today is seems to have gotten worse.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Also found an open raw wound on the back of her neck
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Peanut and she's 15-17 yrs old
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
Peanut is part Russel and Chihuahua 15 yrs old and has a congestion breathing problem also found an open wound on the back of her neck like she might have been bitten
Customer
Gurgling like her lungs may be filled with phlegm

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Peanut is having breathing trouble.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

Customer
Okay
Customer
We found the open sore late last night and tried cleaning it with warm water seen that the fur is falling off around the area of the open sore on the back of her neck
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 8:38:06 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 8:38:24 PM
Customer
Short audio of what she sounding like

-Does she have any discharge from the eyes or nose?

-Is she coughing at all?

Customer
Not really
Customer
she is as you can hear in audio
Customer
Yesterday she started sneezing
Customer
It seems like she is struggling to either get a breath of trying to clear the throat

-Actually, the audio sounded more like mucousy snorting than coughing. Do you feel she is coughing?

Customer
No

-Does she have any previous medical problems?

Customer
It doesn't seem to come from the nose but definitely thru the mouth and there is a really Bad oder

Customer
No that we are aware of we adopted her from folks who couldn't take care of her
Customer
She appeared to have a snaggletooth and a bad hip joint don't like using her hind leg much
Customer
Also sometimes if we touch her ear wrong she yelps
Customer
That's all I know
Customer
Dr Leigh I don't know what to say about the medical history we had only had her for about 3 yrs

-Has she ever been to the veterinarian?

Customer
Not that I am aware of the people said she was updated on all her shots but we never seen any paperwork providing clear answers

-Does she seem to be having actual difficulty breathing or just the congestion?

Customer
It seems like just the heavy congestion.
Customer
That open wound appeared about the same time as the congestion did

-I couldn't see the wound clearly in the picture as it is a bit out of focus and has ointment on it.

-Does she have any wounds on the bottom of the neck?

Customer
No
Customer
We put a triple ointment on it
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 9:20:10 PM

-Is there another animal that could have attacked him.

Customer
Not that we are aware of she spends most of the time in under the bed .our back yard is enclosed with a 6' fence and the 2 Lil Chihuahuas are smaller then she and they get along very well never fight
Customer
We see mostly birds small ones and cardinals . An occasional squirrel and a couple local cats along the fence tops from the neighborhood
Customer
Peanut is going blind at least I see a glossy look in Her eyes

-The breathing I am hearing is a concern. Is there an emergency clinic open near you?

Customer
No
Customer
Not til tomorrow
Customer
There is Crossroads Vet Clinic in Copperas Cove Tx
Customer
She also has a lump on the opposite side of the rear leg she favors
Customer
I think that might be a hernia I don't know
Customer
The breathing is non stop sounds like the audio all day

-I would recommend that you go to the nearest veterinarian that can see her today. The breathing is concerning and difficult breathing can become life-threatening quickly.

Do you have any other questions?

Customer
Is there anything that we can give her til we can go to a veterinarian
Customer
She has stuffy nose also

-Unfortunately, I can not determine what is causing her difficulty breathing, so recommending any medications would not be appropriate.

-You can try putting her in a bathroom that is steamy from a hot shower or a small room with a hot water vaporizer to try to break up the congestion.

-You can also use nasal saline drops. Just be sure they only contain saline as decongestants can be toxic to dogs.

Customer
To help with breaking the congestion and stuffy nose
Customer
Okay
Customer
Thx again God Bless you

I hope the information was helpful and Peanut will feel better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope Peanut is able to see her veterinarian today. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Customer
I was so satisfying about you that this doesn't express how we feel. She went to the vet and got some antibiotics and pain meds and hopefully the 400 dollars wasn't a wasted effort to make our fur baby feel better. Still coughing up phlegm but not as agressive as before. Thank you

-I am so happy to hear that Peanut has a chanced to feel better. Thank you so much for letting me know.

Customer
You're welcome
Customer
Ok I just got home and Peanut isn't doing any better with meds and a shot of antibiotics still got the sore which has gotten worse and now there are a couple more open sores thru out her body. I think we might have to put her down. Her sufferig like this isn't going to get better soon I feel she may be going like our Bandit did

I am so sorry to hear that. Please let me know if there is any way I can help.

Customer
We called some friends over to see if that would perk her up a lil bit it helped cheer her up sum but she still very sick and more sore spots are starting to show up on her. Hair falling out

-What is she being treated with?

Customer
We are at the vet hospital now she is going home to be with the Lord she's losing the fight

-I'm so sorry to hear that. I know this is a difficult decision, and I wish you peace.

Customer
Ty she's gone now to heaven to be with Father

My thoughts are with you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.