My dog ingested a large amount of jube jube candy and threw it all up. He is 20 pounds and he ingested over 30 pieces of

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog ingested a large amount of jube jube candy and threw it all up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the dog? How much of the candy was ingested?
Customer: he is 20 pounds and he ingested over 30 pieces of candy
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: he ate the candy yesterday morning around 9 am and threw up at around 10 pm yesterday and then again this morning
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley, he is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He had pancreatitis a few years ago
Answered by Dr Porter in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr Porter
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! My name is***** and welcome to JustAnswer!

I look forward to helping you and your pet today by giving you the best possible ANSWER.

I may ask you some questions and your patience and prompt replies are greatly

appreciated.

I see that Harley has some GI upset after eating some candy and with his history of pancreatitis you are concerned.

Is he drinking water and keeping it down?

Does he have any diarrhea yet?

How is his energy level?

Customer
from what ive seen he drank some water and didnt throw it up, i dont think he has diarrhea yet, he seems tired but still excited to see me and has been moving around

What breed is he?

Customer
shih Tzu sheltie Pomeranian chihuahua

OMG that sounds cute...if you could send me a pic while I am working on this : )

Thank you for the information which was helpful. Please give me a few moments to put together your ANSWER, and try to be available at the end so I can promptly address any additional questions you may have.

Customer
he is a mix
Customer
He is the one on the left

ANSWER: I am not able to diagnose via the internet, but having said that, Harley ingested a pretty good pile of candy which could have caused over distention (food bloat) of the stomach resulting in vomiting. I am expecting some diarrhea as the sugar will act as an osmotic cathartic (laxative). It is difficult to say whether the candy will trigger a bout of pancreatitis as we often don't know what triggers it. I am not worried about the artificial sweetener Xylitol being in the cancer as his blood sugar would have already dropped by now so it likely did not have any in it.

Given his history of pancreatitis I would encourage you to err on the side of caution and seek veterinary care as early intervention with pancreatitis can greatly affect the outcome. The vet can administer fluids, give an injection of an anti-emetic and provide some good stomach protectants.

Find a Vet/E-Vet: Veterinarians have been very busy lately (shortage) and folks are having a difficult time getting seen quickly. You may be seen quicker at an emergency clinic but with a wait time and more expense, of course. If you need help locating vets or E-clinics you can use the following link to search up to a 50 mile radius https://www.vetlocator.com/hotline.php

HELPFUL INFORMATION: Many cases of acute vomiting and/or diarrhea (gastroenteritis) are self-limiting (resolve with time). Feeding a bland diet and using some stomach protectants are said to be helpful for resting and soothing the GI tract, and to help bind up the stool. The decision to use these is entirely up to you.

If this problem persists, worsens, or recurs or your pet refuses to eat/drink then please see the vet as there may be an underlying cause. The vet can check fresh stool sample for parasites, make sure nothing serious is going on, and provide better GI support/treatment with fluids, anti-nausea medication and stomach protectants. Prolonging a veterinary visit can sometimes be risky so if this does not resolve quickly than please see the vet a.s.a.p!

GI HOME PROTOCOL EXAMPLE

If your dog is vomiting start here:

1. Withhold all food for 8 hours.
  2. Offer small sips water, low sodium low fat broth, or Pedialyte frequently.
  3. If no vomiting after 8 hours they can have a small bland meal.
  4. If they keep that down then feed them small bland meals a few times a day. GO SLOW!

If your dog ONLY has diarrhea then start here:

BLAND DIET:

• Stop your dog’s regular food, treats, chews, and table scraps.
  • Feed ONLY boiled WHITE rice with 93% lean ground hamburger or TURKEY (boiled or non-stick skillet).
  • Gradually transition back to your dogs regular food, over the course of a few days, once your pet has had TWO normal well formed stools in a row.
  • Probiotics (healthy gut bacteria) like Proviable or Fortiflora can be helpful during this time as well as longterm, available OTC at the vet, pet store, or online at chewy.com or petco.com

PEPCID 10mg or PRILOSEC 20mg (antacids) which are over the counter human drugs can be useful to treat dogs suffering from gastroenteritis. Here is a link to a web page that has all the information you might need including dose rates and contraindications: https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs-and-cats/

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/omeprazole-prilosec-gastrogard-for-dogs-and-cats/

Dose 20lbs: Give 1/2 tablet EITHER to start then every 12 hours 30 minutes before a meal for 5-7 days.

He is adorable and looks like he would have a candy-fetish!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pancreatitis https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4952412

Customer
since he had a previous issue with pancreatitis do you think his risk is higher then normal?
Customer
cause i know it can take a few days to show symptoms but then what if its too late

Yes, I think he is more at risk especially when we insult his GI tract and cause inflammation and distress.

Customer
how much would going to a standard vet cost? on average
Customer
if you could give an estimate?

I had a chi chi with heart disease as a vet, and he saw the best vet cardiologist in town!

Customer
ok but for this how much do you think it would be

disregard that last statement please...

Let me think a bit...

It would depend on so many things....how aggressive you wanted to be e.g. This could easily run $500-600.

• Cost of Living
  • Reg vet v emergency vet
  • Bloodwork
  • Xrays
  • Medications/Fluids
  • Outpatient
Customer
would it be smart to wait to see if he throws up again before taking him in or what do you think?

That sounds reasonable to me as the worse might be over. If he continues to keep things down, maybe gets some soft stool but otherwise is doing well then just roll with it. If he worsens or shows no improvement in 24 hours then go!

If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know as I am happy to help. You can access this page and use the reply box if you need additional assistance even after accepting the answer.

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer and it has been a pleasure to serve you today!

Customer
he definitely seems bloated, is that something to be concerned about?

Hi, this is Dr. Porter with JustAnswer checking in.  Do you need further assistance with your pet?

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr Porter
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr Porter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.