Old I believe she had eating something she isn't eating drinking though. But keeps puking. Golden retriever 5 years old.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: old I believe she had eating something she isn't eating drinking though. But keeps puking
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Golden retriever 5 years old
JA: When did you first notice this decrease in the Golden Retriever's appetite? How is her energy level?
Customer: Yesterday evening
JA: Does the Golden Retriever seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Shes I think so she wines when she usually doesn't
JA: And what's the Golden Retriever's name and age?
Customer: Abby 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think thats all, not eating but drinking. In discomfort and puking
Answered by Dr-C in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr-C
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. This is Dr. C and I have extensive experience as an ER veterinarian. I know how important your pet is to you and I appreciate you entrusting me as part of their care team. The phone call prompt (for an extra fee) is automatically generated by the website so feel free to decline. I cannot make a diagnosis or prescribe medications without an exam, but I can make my best recommendations based on the information you give me.

It will take me a number of minutes to type out a response to your question since I try to be very thorough in my recommendations based on your unique issues, so please bear with me.

May I ask some questions so I can best help you?

How frequently is Abby vomiting?

Is she acting really weak or lethargic?

About how much does she weigh?

Customer
67lbs
Hasn't been doing much but lay down
And in the beginning she was puking a lot like every 15 minutes it's been and hour and a half since the last time

How long now has Abby been vomiting for. It has been about every 30 minutes or less since it started?

Customer
It was less when it started . It's been over an hour since she has puked currently
Customer
It was like 15 minutes when it started but she hasn't pukes in a while now

Vomiting is a common cause of dogs being seen at the vet during an emergency appointment. The simplest cause of vomiting is gastritis, or upset stomach from eating something that didn't sit well. This issue can oftentimes be treated at home as long as the pet isn't getting too dehydrated.

The more serious causes are

-intestinal blockage

-pancreatitis

-kidney disease

-liver disease

-metabolic disease

-infectious disease (like parvovirus)

-toxin

-intestinal parasites

Given how frequently she is vomiting and for how long it has been going on I am very concerned about something serious is going on. The most concerning would be a foreign body obstruction.

If at all possible I would get her to an ER vet today if this vomiting continues. They can make sure nothing serious is going on and give her an injection to stop the vomiting for 24 horus.

As long as she is not too weak or looking any worse and you can't get her to an ER right away you can try some things at home to see if you can settle her stomach before heading to the vet. I would still call her vet first thing in the morning though.

I would recommend the following until Abby can be seen by a veterinarian:

1) Do not feed her for 6 to 12 hours after she last vomited and hold her water for a few hours, after several hours start offering her frequent and small amounts of water or pedialyte (so she doesn't gulp down a large amount of water and make herself sick).

2) After at least 6 hours, offer a small amount of a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice or canned chicken or meat baby food (without onion powder). If she holds that down you can start feeding her during her mealtimes but use the bland diet and give her small amounts at first.

3) After several days you can transition her back to her normal diet.

4) Start giving Prilosec OTC (omeprazole). Purchase the 20mg tablets and give 1 tablets of these (20mg) once every 24 hours for the next several days. This can help settle her stomach. You can purchase this antacid over the counter at a Pharmacy or grocery store. Pepcid AC (famotidine) is also an alternative option if that is what you have in the house. You should start this as soon as possible and it works better on an empty stomach

If she vomits more than 3 times in a 24 hour period without being fed, or if she continues to vomit for more than 24 hours she should be seen by a veterinarian. If she becomes weak, very painful, or is losing a lot of fluid through vomiting and/or diarrhea she should be seen sooner at an emergency vet.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. I would love to explain anything further that seems confusing or doesn't make sense to help ease your mind. Thank you for using our site. I also can continue to answer any further questions you might have over the next few days here on this chat thread. I hope Abby starts feeling better soon!

Customer
Okay I just need to find a vet

You can google ER 24 hour vet clinic near me and it will give you some options.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr-C
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr-C
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.