Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Jackson ate some rose fertilizer pellets. What to do depends upon a few things. Please answer these questions for me and I will try to help guide you.
Thanks very much, that is a pretty typical fertilizer product. I am really pleased to see that there are no listed herbicides or pesticides as part of this product. None of these ingredients are truly toxic. These are very typical ingredients in a fertilizer. High levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid, sulfur, magnesium and potash can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. Calcium without vitamin d, especially at this level is not toxic. The more he ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see, but since you caught him quickly and likely he ate a very small amount, especially as he is a big fellow, this isn't likely to be much of an issue for him.Typing more..
He was probably thirsty given all of those salts/irritants! That is actually good for him though. Dilution is best. You might not see any symptoms at all from him eating this.
If he seems to have an upset stomach to settle his stomach you can give an over the counter acid reducer that people take for acid reflux. At home you can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 15 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours ~OR~ 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 30 to 80 pounds of body weight every 12-24 hours. These are acid reducers and should help him feel better.
And you can also feed a bland diet mix of 2/3 parts boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 part boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.
If he seems fine then there is no need to do anything different. Of course keep him away from the fertilizer! Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy. If he is especially sensitive and you see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet don't control then he may need to see a veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids. But that is highly unlikely!
Glad to help!
Hello, I wanted to check in on your pup and make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, thank you, ***** *****
Awesome! Thanks so much for the update.
50998 satisfied customers