He ate some rose fertilizer pellets. It just happened. I don’t think he ate very much of it because I think I stopped

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He ate some rose fertilizer pellets. It just happened. I don’t think he ate very much of it because I think I stopped him right away but not sure what I should do now.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 55 lbs
JA: Has he thrown up since eating the pellets?
Customer: no. It was less than 10 minutes ago that he ate them
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jackson, 7
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by Dr. Kara in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Kara
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Jackson ate some rose fertilizer pellets. What to do depends upon a few things. Please answer these questions for me and I will try to help guide you.

1. What ingredients were in the fertilizer? (I don't need percentages so much as the main ingredients)

2. Is there a pesticide ingredient in this product?

3. How is he feeling now?

Customer
1.Nitrogen, phosphate, soluble potash, calcium, magnesium and sulfur
2 I don’t think so. Above are all the ingredients listed.
3. Totally fine but it’s only been about 20 minutes
Customer
he drank water immediately after

Thanks very much, that is a pretty typical fertilizer product. I am really pleased to see that there are no listed herbicides or pesticides as part of this product. None of these ingredients are truly toxic. These are very typical ingredients in a fertilizer. High levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid, sulfur, magnesium and potash can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. Calcium without vitamin d, especially at this level is not toxic. The more he ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see, but since you caught him quickly and likely he ate a very small amount, especially as he is a big fellow, this isn't likely to be much of an issue for him.Typing more..

Customer
Ok great, thank you so much.

He was probably thirsty given all of those salts/irritants! That is actually good for him though. Dilution is best. You might not see any symptoms at all from him eating this.

If he seems to have an upset stomach to settle his stomach you can give an over the counter acid reducer that people take for acid reflux. At home you can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 15 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours ~OR~ 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 30 to 80 pounds of body weight every 12-24 hours. These are acid reducers and should help him feel better.

And you can also feed a bland diet mix of 2/3 parts boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 part boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.

If he seems fine then there is no need to do anything different. Of course keep him away from the fertilizer! Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy. If he is especially sensitive and you see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet don't control then he may need to see a veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids. But that is highly unlikely!

Any questions?

Customer
No, that's all very helpful. Thank you so much!

Glad to help!

Hello, I wanted to check in on your pup and make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, thank you, ***** *****

Customer
Hi there! Nope, he's perfectly fine. Thank you.!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the update.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Kara
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Kara
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.