I have a gluten free household. We recently got a dog. Is it safe to feed him grain free food?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a gluten free household. We recently got a dog. Is it safe to feed him grain free food?
Answered by Mike McIntyre in 8 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of? How old and what breed is he?
It is safe to feed gluten free food also. My son is gluten free and my dogs have eaten much of his food over the years too)). Most important is that the diet is well balanced. As dogs our natural scavengers it is most important that they have a well balanced diet. However many are on all natural and/or raw diets with no wheat and do very well.
Customer
Is there anything in the food we need to make sure isn’t there?
Will you be feeding regular dog food?
Customer
Not unless we have to
Keeping fat content down ad higher levels of fat can irritate the pancreas. Protein sources like meat, poultry, fish dairy and eggs are all good. Items to stay away from onion, garlic, green tomatoes and potato skin as some common examples.
Customer
This is the food we bought
That Will be a good food.
Customer
Thanks
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and your little one today. Have a good day and thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Mike McIntyre
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.