My 24 lbs mini schnauzer ate a plate of carbonara with garlic, while my 14 lbs had a teaspoon of the bacon from

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, my 24 lbs mini schnauzer ate a plate of carbonara with garlic, while my 14 lbs had a teaspoon of the bacon from carbonara. I just saw that garlic is poisonous to dogs. Will both my dogs be ok after?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the Schnauzer vomited since ingesting the garlic?
Customer: the 24lbs has lvl 2 murmur while the 14lbs has lvl 4 murmur. The only medication they’re taking is for lice, which we only give them when they start scratching
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: None of them vomited
Answered by DogDoc4U in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DogDoc4U
18+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Luckily there will not be enough bacon nor garlic to harm your two dogs with this amount

Today monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite take a few precautions if gi upset is seen:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help any gi upset or nausea pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify

Customer
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the direct answer and clear instruction!!!!!!

You're very welcome, best wishes to you all

Customer
Hi again, I'm in the grocery store looking for pepcid, can I give my dogs peptobismol instead? If so, what would be the dosage?

No pepto please, it turns the stool black confusing with gi bleed and isn't very effective. Pepcid or famotidine is widely available and is preferred. Or omeprazole (prilosec)

Customer
Ok. I calculated that for my 24 lbs schnauzer I have to give him 600mg of pepcid and 350mg for my 14lbs. Is that correct? Also, I'm reading the drug facts of pepcid complete dual action chewable tablet but I'm confused how many tablets I should give each.
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 10:38:13 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 10:38:29 PM

Um that is not correct, it would be 1/2 of a 10 mg formula

Just famotidine not the "plus" formula you have

Customer
I found omeprazole instead 20mg.

So 1/2 tab daily for 3 days

Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 10:45:57 PM

Yep that's fine

Customer
For both 24lbs and 14lbs?

1/4 tab for the 14 pound dog

Customer
Ok, thank you so much for the responses Dr Altman

You're welcome

Customer
Hi Dr. Altman,You dont have to answer to this message; I just want to THANK YOU for your help with my mini schnauzers.Here are Aiko (14lbs black and white) and Stitch (24lbs white) being themselves.
Customer
Customer attachment 10/28/2021 7:55:46 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/28/2021 7:55:50 PM

I have an Aiko too but a GSD :)  Small world lol, same spelling and everything!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DogDoc4U
logo
logo
logo
18+ years of experience
imglogo
DogDoc4U
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.