I have a 60 pit that I am keeping for a friend who has been incarcerated and he has a cold and his nose is warm. He has

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 60 pit bull that I am keeping for a friend who has been incarcerated and he has a cold and his nose is warm
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the Pit Bull been eating and drinking normally? Have you taken his temperature?
Customer: he has been eating pretty good not I do not know how to take his temp
JA: When did this congestion start? Has the Pit Bull been licking or scratching his skin as well?
Customer: about 5 days ago. He was at the pound and he is up to date with everything he has been scratching a little. He is really depressed. He is an inside dog and for 8 yrs has been with his owner. We have a small terrier mix and he is a complete alfa
JA: And what's the Pit Bull's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 8 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just can not afford a vet bill at all. I want to take care of him but with my dog it is going to be a challenge. Tyson has not been fixed and I don’t want my dog to jump on him because even Tyson is the most gentle dog but I would not want him to eat my small dog (joke)
Answered by Dr. Peter in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Tyson; I am sure you are concerned. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Can you describe the symptoms that Tyson has?

Customer
He is sneezing and has a little cough. His nose is warm and he does not want to play but he has been traumatized since his owner was incarcerated last week.

Can you take his rectal temperature?

Any pre-existing medical conditions?

Customer
I do not know how to do that. I only have a by mouth for temperatures. He does not have any pre-ex conditions that I know of. He is up to date with all shots

The oral thermometer will work. To take a rectal temperature, this is what you can do:

1- Lubricate thermometer tip with ky jelly, vaseline, or soap and water.
2- Insert the thermometer in the rectum about 1 inch and gently press the tip up against the rectal wall.
3- Wait a minute or until it beeps.

Customer
It is 99.5
(sent with Gentle Effect)

Thank you for that. Tyson's temperature is normal for a dog (99.5-102.5 F). Please give me a moment to type your answer.

I am sorry Tyson is not feeling well. The symptoms you describe are consistent with Kennel cough; this is common when a dog has been in the pound. I know cost is a concern for you, but you can look into your local ASPCA or Shelter, where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost; he may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime, you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 8 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not buy sugar-free or with a decongestant. Also, open the hot water in your bathroom and allow him to breathe the vapor/steam for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. Please make sure he has fresh water after.

Customer
His medical history dated 10/22/21 shows Bordetella vaccine is not due until 10/4/22. On the history Nobivac Intra-Trac KC (Merck) IN in Nose
(sent with Gentle Effect)

Bordetella is the most common cause of Kennel Cough. But, there are other viruses and bacteria that cause Kennel cough that we don't vaccinate against. He likely picked up a pathogen we don't vaccinate against.

Customer
Can my dogs get this cough also or what should I do

Yes, your dogs can get this too. You need to keep them in separate rooms.

Customer
Will he have to go get a shot for the virus. On his paper work it shows lungs are clear and cough when pulling and only harness walks only.

He may need oral antibiotics. This will be after he is examined by a veterinarian.

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome.

Good afternoon. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow-up questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to assist you.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Peter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.