His penis is swollen and won’t go back in, A dog, About twenty minutes ago and yes he was licking it, Ozzy and 1 year 9

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: His penis is swollen and won’t go back in
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A dog
JA: When did you first notice this swelling? Does the dog lick the skin as well?
Customer: About twenty minutes ago and yes he was licking it
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ozzy and 1 year 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Jessie, DVM in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Jessie, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am happy to assist you today!! Thank you for entrusting me with your veterinary concerns for your fur baby, Ozzy. Please understand that I cannot legally diagnose conditions nor prescribe medications via this forum, but I will do my best to advise you.

Also, please feel free to disregard any requests for a phone call as those are automated requests from the website; unfortunately I am unable to communicate via phone at this time. But I will do my best to assist you as much as possible.

Customer
Ok thank you

I am sorry to hear Ozzy is struggling. Is there any evidence of cyanosis or purple/darkened color change of the tissue?

Customer
Not yet no

That's good!! This might be a little personal, but I would recommend using some KY jelly and trying to gently massage the penis back into the sheath.

Sometimes the skin and/or hair of the sheath can get rolled up abnormally around the penis, so I would be very gentle and use lots of lube.

Customer
Is there anything else I can use I don’t have any ky

vaseline should work as well (it's just a little thicker)

Customer
Is this a common thing it's never happened before

Not uncommon believe it or not!!

The medical term is paraphimosis, and there can be several underlying causes. With Ozzy's young it is hopefully just secondary to movement, but there can be underlying neurologic issues or traumas that can cause it as well.

Customer
This seems to be working what do I do if it happens again and what is the best way to prevent it

Good, I am glad!! If you catch it when it happens again, you can repeat exactly what you did. Honestly may be worth investing in some KY to have at home in case.

Unfortunately there is not a great way to prevent it without knowing the underlying cause.

Customer
Will the swelling go down on its own?

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/reproductive-system/reproductive-diseases-of-the-male-small-animal/paraphimosis-in-dogs-and-cats

Here is some information as a reference as well

Once the penis is back in the sheath, the swelling should go down. If it does not and/or if he has any issues with urination, it would be recommended to take him to an emergency clinic.

Oh, and if he will let you ice the area, that will help with swelling too!!

Customer
he has been being really good I'm just laying here I will put some ice on it thank you so much

You're so welcome!! Is there anything else I can do to assist you today?

Customer
No thank you if this does not go away within the next three hours I will definitely take him to the emergency clinic

Sounds like a good plan!! Remember, also if he has any issues with trying to urinate and not being able to on his own.

Best of luck to you and Ozzy!!

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your concerns. I hope I have been able to answer all of your questions today, and that your fur baby feels better soon. In the event that you have any other concerns or need any further veterinary advice, feel free to request me directly, I am more than happy to help. It was a pleasure chatting with you, have a great day!!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jessie, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jessie, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.