My dog threw up quite a few times in the last day and a half. He is walking unsteadily and his pupils are almost fully

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog threw up quite a few times in the last day and a half. He is walking unsteadily and his pupils are almost fully dilated. His eyes are shaking slowly
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: there was food in it a number of times. There’s foam that’s slimy when after food out of his stomach
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: maybe a weed from the yard. I don’t know
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: giorgio 5 1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t have money
Answered by BrandonG102 in 4 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
BrandonG102
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Good morning, I’m Dr. Gates and I’m happy to assist you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you.

My job here is to assess whether or not your pet needs to be examined and diagnostic tests run or if we can manage things safely at home.

I will do my best to go through everything with you and give you my professional advice based on the history and clinical signs. The more information I have the better the job I can do to help get you some answers for your pet.

Customer
Thank you
Customer
My dog's eyes are shaking/twitching, he has vomited quite a few times since the night before and he can barely walk straight, what has happened. The is good but when no more food, there is a little foam that's very slimy.I don't know if he ate a little bit of a weed or plant outside. He ate nothing bad inside.

I'm so sorry that Giorgio is having issues. Has he had any diet changes, new chews, new treats, table scraps, etc.?

If his eyes are moving side to side, then I'm concerned that he may have gotten into something toxic. This generally requires emergency care at a local ER.

Customer
No diet changes. He only has little bits of table scraps and nothing bad
Customer
Is there anything I can try at home first? The vet isn't open until tomorrow.

I would look around the house and yard as the ER will need to know what he may have gotten into to best determine traetment. Otherwise, they have to run diagnostics (tests) which will make it more expensive.

Customer
We don't have any money to cover that and credit isn't good.

Ok,  then you're just going to have to try to treat symptoms as they arise and we'll hope that he didn't get into anything serious.

Here is some information in the event that he starts to develop seizures.

What to Do

Protect the pet from injuring herself during or after the seizure. Keep her from falling from a height and especially keep away from bodies of water.

Remove other pets from the area as some pets become aggressive after a seizure.

Protect yourself from being bitten.

Record the time the seizure begins and ends, and if it started with a certain body part (such as twitching of an eye).

If the seizure or convulsion lasts over 3 minutes, cool the pet with cool water on the ears, belly and feet, and seek veterinary attention at once.

If your pet has two or more seizures in a 24-hour period, seek veterinary attention.

If your pet has one seizure that is less than 3 minutes and seems to recover completely, contact your veterinarian’s office for further instructions. A visit may or may not be recommended based on your pet’s medical history.

If the pet loses consciousness and is not breathing, begin CPR.

What NOT to Do

Do not place your hands near the pet's mouth. (They do not swallow their tongues.) You risk being bitten.

Do not slap, throw water on, or otherwise try to startle your pet out of a seizure. The seizure will end when it ends, and you cannot affect it by slapping, yelling, or any other action.

Customer
There are a lot of weeds in the flower bed. My mother has dementia and she used to do the weeding. I can't keep up with the yard by myself working full time and taking care of her.
Customer
Ok

I'd recommend fasting him for 6 to 8 hours, including water.

What to Do

Remove all food and water.

Check for signs of dehydration.

If the diarrhea and/or vomiting continues or the pet acts ill, seek veterinary attention. Diarrhea and vomiting can quickly lead to serious fluid loss and electrolyte imbalance, especially in very young and very old animals.

If no vomiting occurs for 6 to 8 hours, begin to frequently give small amounts of clear liquids (water, Gatorade, Pedialyte, or other electrolyte solution). A rule of thumb is to give 1 teaspoon per pound of body weight every 2 or 3 hours throughout the day and night.  If your pet does not vomit the fluid, the following day offer small frequent meals of boiled hamburger and rice or boiled chicken and rice. If your pet does not want to eat, starts to vomit, or continues to have diarrhea, go to the veterinarian for medical care.

Isolate the sick pet from other pets.

What NOT to Do

Do not administer any over-the-counter or prescription medications to your pet without talking to a veterinarian first.

Do not allow the pet to eat or drink anything until there has been no vomiting for 6 to 8 hours.

The most common mistake with a vomiting pet is to encourage food and water intake while the pet is still vomiting. This actually makes matters worse by not allowing the stomach and intestinal tract time to rest, and can cause additional vomiting and water loss. Removing access to food and water for a short period of time may seem like it would make dehydration worse, but it can help your pet avoid further dehydration. Dehydration makes your pet feel lethargic, and can potentially cause severe problems with the kidneys and other internal organs if untreated.

Dehydration often accompanies symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, hypothermia (low body temperature), fever, no access to water, and other conditions. It can be detected by several tests:

Mouth: Are the tongue and gums moist or dry? If they are dry, there is a chance your pet may be dehydrated. Is the saliva thick or ropey? Normally, saliva is quite watery and hardly noticeable.

Eyes: Are they normal, or do they sink into the sockets? Sunken or dry eyes may indicate dehydration, and warrant veterinary attention.

Skin: Do the skin turgor test outlined in the Physical Exam Checklist. If the skin is slow to return to position, the pet may be moderately to severely dehydrated. If the skin does not return fully to its position, your pet may be severely dehydrated and may be in critical condition. Seek veterinary attention immediately. The skin turgor test is not always accurate and several factors such as age, weight loss and condition of the skin can give misleading results. A veterinary professional can help you determine how dehydrated your pet is, what the cause may be, and the best course of treatment.

If no vomiting occurs after 6 to 8 hours of fasting, you can give Pepcid AC (famotidine) or Prilosec (omeprazole) which can be picked up in a pharmacy of grocery store.

The usual dosage of famotidine or omeprazole for dogs is 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg per pound of body weight. Prilosec is once daily and famotidine can be given twice a day and is sold as over-the-counter medication.

Pills usually come in a strength of 10 mg, though they also come in amounts of 20 mg. You should continue treatment for 7 days.

If he continues to improve, then you can start a small amount of a bland diet. Instructions can be found here: https://www.arlingtonanimalhospital.biz/storage/app/media/BLAND_DIET.pdf

Customer
His nose is wet
Customer
Eyes not sunken

Ok, if not dehydrated or only mildly dehydrated, wait 6 to 8 hours and then follow these guidelines and those above.

If dehydration is mild and the pet is not vomiting, give frequent, small amounts of water by mouth; that means in the range of 1 tsp for a cat or small dog to 1 tbsp to 1/4 cup for a medium to large dog every few hours.

Customer
Ok
Customer
Thank you so much

I hope this information was helpful and that Giorgio is back to normal soon. You can provide updates and ask follow-up questions by picking up the chat in the window and I will answer when I am next online. Thank you for using Just Answer and have a wonderful evening!

If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do.

Customer
Great, I appreciate your help
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BrandonG102
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BrandonG102
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.