My 10lb 1.5 yrs old doodle just ate less than 1/2 cup of sauteed onions. What should I do? The answer provided is not

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 10lb 1.5 yrs old doodle just ate less than 1/2 cup of sauteed onions. What should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the Doodle's appetite? Any changes in energy?
Customer: The answer provided is not relevant to my question. My dog just ate just under a 1/4 cup of sauteed onions. Is this dangerous for her? What should I do?
JA: Does the Doodle seem to be in any pain?
Customer: no
JA: What's the Doodle's name?
Customer: mikka
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by Rebeccavet in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Rebeccavet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer today.   My name is***** and I will do my best to help.  I am sorry to hear Mikka got these onions.   Onions can be toxic if enough are eaten for the size of the dog; please give me a moment to do some calculating.
How long now since she got them?  Do you have any peroxide on hand that is not expired if we have to try to make her vomit?

Customer
She ate it 20 minutes ago.

So the dose of onions for a dog her size that can cause problems is about 4 to 5 teaspoons.  Do you think she got that much?

Customer
Looking now
Customer
It's possible, But not more than that for sure.

If so, I would try to make her vomit.  You need 3% peroxide that is not expired.   If you don't have that, take her to a veterinarian and they can make her vomit.
If you do have it, then put 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of peroxide in a little milk or ice cream and get her to drink it,  and then walk her for a minute.  She should make her empty her stomach in a few to 20 minutes.

If it was less than 4 teaspoons she may be OK.

Customer
We don't have any peroxide, so It'll take us at least 20 minutes to get some and get it in her. Is that timing OK?
Customer
Are there symptoms we should be on the lookout for?

The sooner you make her vomit the better.  I like to make a dog vomit within an hour of eating something they shouldn't.

Onions, started a few hours after they are eaten, can cause vomiting at first but then can cause serious problems with red blood cells called methemoglobinemia.

Customer
Thank you.

You are welcome.   Please let me know if you have other questions and how Mikka is doing.  You can post additional questions and updates about this by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website and I will respond the next time I am logged on. I will also be following up with you.
Thank you for using Just Answer.

Let me know if she vomits and if you see onion in the vomit.

Customer
Ok. Thanks.

You are welcome.

Customer
Is peroxide and hydrogen peroxide the same thing?

Probably.  Be sure it is not stronger than 3%

Customer
Ok. Thanks.

If you can take a picture of the label I can tell you for sure it is hydrogen peroxide and not something else.

But if it is peroxide for household use, it is probably hydrogen peroxide.

Customer
Ok. One minute, we're in the store now.

That is probably what they have, hydrogen peroxide.

Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 4:07:29 PM

That is what you want.

Customer
Thank you

You are welcome.   Let me know how it goes.

Customer
I will. Thanks again

You are welcome.

Customer
She drank The milk with the peroxide in it. Now we're walking. Do we have to walk through the full 20 minutes until she vomits?
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 4:26:18 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 4:26:44 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 4:26:58 PM

I just wanted her to walk for a minute after she got the peroxide.

I do see onions in the vomit, so that is good.

Customer
Did you get 3 pictures?

Yes it does look like there are onions in the vomit.

Customer
The last one was mostly her breakfast, I think I saw one piece of onion in there, but it looks like she's finished vomiting. Should we give her another breakfast now or make her wait awhile?

I would not feed her for at least an hour.

Customer
Ok. Do you think she should be finished vomiting now after those three?
Customer
We had her in the garage so that she could vomit there, but if we bring her back into the house I'm wondering if she might still vomit again and we should keep an eye on her.

She will vomit until her stomach is empty, which is usually only about 5 minutes or so.

Customer
Ok thanks again Dr Rebecca! If anything weird happens After we feed her again in an hour, I'll reach out, but I think we're good. Thank you so so much.

You are welcome.

Hello; this is Dr. Rebecca checking in to see if you have other questions.   How is Mikka?

Customer
Thank you so much for checking in. She ate her breakfast anhour after vomiting. She's had some snacks after that, nothing big, and she seems to be fine. Thank you so much. I really really appreciate your service.

You are welcome. I am glad you like the service.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rebeccavet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rebeccavet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.