My dog ate a quarter last night and has tried to throw it up but hasn’t had any luck. 8 pounds. But hasn’t thrown up the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog ate a quarter last night and has tried to throw it up but hasn’t had any luck
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 8 pounds
JA: Has the dog thrown up since eating the?
Customer: yes but hasn’t thrown up the quarter
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dino and he is 6months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He is a cavalier King Charles breed
Answered by Dr Porter in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr Porter
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! My name is***** and welcome to JustAnswer!

I look forward to helping you and your pet today by giving you the best possible ANSWER.

I may ask you some questions and your patience and prompt replies are greatly

appreciated.

I see that Dino ate a quarter and given his size that is a bit concerning for obstruction!

• Did you induce vomiting or did he throw up on his own?
  • How often has he vomited since?
Customer
He threw up on his own twice last night but hasn't vomited for the past 6 hours

Dr. Porter is typing.....

He is small and this quarter might have difficulty passing. If it gets stuck in the intestine you are looking at surgery to save his life. My BEST recommendations given all the circumstances is to go to the emergency vet where they might do the following:

1. Xray- to locate the quarter which will be very visible.
  2. Induce vomiting with apomorphine if still in the stomach.
  3. Retrieve with an endoscope if still in the stomach and does not vomit it up.
  4. Surgery or continue to monitor for obstruction if in the small intestine.

Find a Vet/E-Vet: Veterinarians have been very busy lately (shortage) and folks are having a difficult time getting seen quickly. You may be seen quicker at an emergency clinic but with a wait time and more expense, of course. If you need help locating vets or E-clinics you can use the following link to search up to a 50 mile radius https://www.vetlocator.com/hotline.php

If you absolutely cannot go to the vet then your options are to:

1. Induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide
  2. Monitor for obstruction

To Make Vomit: Dog owners have found this helpful when they need to induce vomiting for something their dog ate. You should always consult with a veterinarian prior to inducing vomiting as it may not be wise to do with sharp objects, hydrocarbons, or caustic substances.

Hydrogen peroxide should be active and not expired. Pour a little into sink drain to make sure it bubbles. If is does, it is active. The use of a turkey baster or shot glass is helpful to deliver slowly in the corner of your dog’s mouth and give them time to swallow.

Give 2 tsp 3% hydrogen peroxide by mouth all at once slowly (do not dilute). This should cause vomiting in 8-12 minutes. If your dog does not vomit in 15 minutes you can repeat this ONCE. I will keep typing while you do this….

Here is a resource about how to induce vomiting in dogs using hydrogen peroxide along with dosing amounts based on weight. It is alway wise to consult a vet before doing this as there are times when you do not want to induce vomiting as with something sharp, caustic, or a hydrocarbon.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/

Signs of Obstruction:

• Persistent vomiting
  • Vomiting large amounts of liquids
  • Lethargy, clingy
  • Restless, pacing, panting, stretching, trembling, vocalizing

Please let me know if you have any questions, hope you found this helpful, and that this can be resolved quickly for Dino!

Customer
this has been very helpful. We were able to get setup with a vet for a visit in the next hour if not we are heading to the ER

That is a good plan and I hope this has a fairly easy solution for you!

I had a ruby CKCS named Tico and everything went in his mouth especially acorns!

Customer
Hahah ya this is our second one and he has been a handful. Chews and swallows everything...hoping he grows out of it soon

Not likely ; )

Let me know how you make out!

If you have any additional concerns, or need me to clarify anything, please let me know as I am happy to help. You can access this page and use the reply box if you need additional assistance even after accepting the answer.

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer and it has been a pleasure to serve you today!

Hi, this is Dr. Porter with JustAnswer checking in.  Do you need further assistance with your pet?

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr Porter
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr Porter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.