I believe my German shepherd 9yrs old CA can't support his hind legs and I was told that he may have my myetealogyg yet

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I believe my German shepherd 9yrs old CA can't support his hind legs and I was told that he may have my myetealogyg yet I haven't been able to have him tested
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Shepherd's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I took him to our vet and we thought it was an injury and they treated him for with ramadal and he did seem to get a little better but for the last two weeks he was able to lift himself up but now he can't lift his hind legs at all he can lift his front paws and not his hind legs and I'm still giving him the remodel
JA: Is he taking any medications?
Customer: Yes he's taking tramadol tablets choose 100 mg sliced down
JA: And what's the Shepherd's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** and he just turned nine August the 2nd 2021
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He also takes apoquel due to allergies and that's about all
Answered by MeganR42 in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
MeganR42
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, I’m Dr. Repking and I can help with your question this morning.  I have over 10 years of experience.

Your GSD was recently diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy correct?  Can you list any medications and supplements he is taking, including dose and frequency?

Customer
No I have to wait until my husband comes back from Tennessee and he won't be back until the week before Thanksgiving due to the covid he didn't work for the last 2 years so he has to be a way to work my dog is 113 lb and I can't carry him by myself plus he's a handful at the vets we usually have to put a muzzle on him he's taking remodel right now at 100 mg twice daily

OK.  My recommendation for management is to get a harness that fits him to support his chest, and use a towel under his hind end to help assist him to stand and walk.

Are you giving 100 mg rimadyl twice a day?

Customer
Yeah I've been putting a towel under his hind legs and I did buy a harness for his chest but he fights so bad to put it on and then I can't lift him still is there any other medications that could be provided to help him a little more I had some those cannabis chews that I was going to try to give him

The other thing to consider is home care.  There may be a mobile vet in your area, or a vet that can utilize Telehealth to assist in management.  If he does have degenerative myelopathy, the condition is progressive although usually not painful.

Customer
Also I'm still feeding him giving him water but I haven't seen him in the last 2 days have about or urinary releases urine yet is that a problem

He could also have a back injury and having a veterinary chiropractor or acupuncturist assess him may be helpful.

Yes if he is not urinating on his own that is a problem, and he should be seen for this as there can be serious complications.

This sounds like a difficult situation.

Customer
Well I put an emergency call into his primary vet doctor and not at Pittman animal hospital where we live and they'll get back to me Monday I was wondering if there I was going to try to get somebody that could come out and get a blood test so that we don't know exactly what we're dealing with

If you can get him to an emergency clinic or if he seems comfortable and not in pain continue to manage him and call his regular vet in the morning.

Yes, you can look for a mobile vet service in your area to help with the testing, and assess him.  I would recommend going with whoever is available the quickest.

Unfortunately with large dogs this issue becomes so hard to manage.  And some animals do not accept help well, just like people.

It sounds like you are trying everything you can do within this situation and that is all you can do.

If there are any other questions I can answer please let me know.  Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer
THANKYOU so much keep us in your PRAYERS

I will.  And hang in there.

Customer
Megan gave good info however I already had those in place, she was warm and professional THANKYOU ..God bless and keep you

Thank you for the positive review and feedback!  much appreciated.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
MeganR42
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
MeganR42
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.