My 11#, almost 10 years old, Havenese/coton had wellness check and dental work done today. She had a lower front tooth

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 11#, almost 10 years old, Havenese/coton had wellness check and dental work done today. She had a lower front tooth break off several months ago and Dr. Sokol felt it was necessary to extract the remainder of the tooth to avoid future problems. She was prescribed Metronidazole 250 mg. .25 tablet every 12 hours and Gabapentin 100mg every***** Sokol said she didn’t make the dosage of the latter too high because she had a prednisone script about a week ago. Sokol said it may be too soon after prednisone. She went to vet at 9 am and came home about 6;30 pm. I gave her gabapentin about 5-6 hours ago. She is crying and whimpering—in other words, she is in pain. She can’t sleep, is restless. What can I do for her? I thought about giving her another gabapentin?!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: The Expert can shed more light on dental procedures and their possible side effects. What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oreo Lin, 11 lb. havenese/coton, 10 years old next month
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i sent detailed message which describes her day
Answered by Dr. Andrew, DVM in 28 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Andrew, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
Will the vet give me an answer soon? My dog is in pain!
Customer
What is taking so long? I contacted you about 15 minutes ago.

Hi there, my name is***** a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer. I apologize nobody got to you sooner. I wanted to hop on and get an answer to you as quickly as possible since your baby is in pain.

It is completely safe to give an additional gabapentin dose and there should be no concern with having been on prednisone.

I would go ahead and keep her on the gabapentin every 8 hours until its gone. Thankfully mouths heal really fast so hopefully only a few days of pain medications is needed.

I hope Oreo LIn is doing well, please reach out if I can be of further assistance.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Andrew, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Andrew, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.