Our 7 year old spay female field spaniel began vomiting. This began about an hour ago. Lots of phlegm. She is quietly

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our 7 year old spay female field spaniel began vomiting. This began about an hour ago. Lots of phlegm. She is quietly moaning. Within the last hour, she has vomited 5 times with small to large quantities. Not much undigested food if any noted in her vomit. Can I do something for her at home?
JA: I'm so sorry the Field Spaniel isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: A family friend gave her one treat today around 2:30PM. Otherwise, her typical diet in quantity and amount.
JA: What's the Field Spaniel's name and age?
Customer: Lucy age 7
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Wet nose. Abdomen seems distended. She keeps lifting her head and moaning
Answered by Dr. Peter in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Lucy; I am sure you are concerned. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Is she spayed?

Any pre-existing medical conditions?

Did she get into anything?

How much does she weigh?

Customer
She is spayed. She has been chewing on a hard bone for > 1 week but today, not so much. She weighs=50#. I did start giving her Earth Animal Natures Protection ( Dr. Bob Goldstein) for fleas the last 3 days according to the directions. No previous problems

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to type your answer.

I am sorry Lucy is vomiting. I am sure this must be a concern for you. Many different medical conditions can cause vomiting. If her abdomen is distended and she is moaning possible causes are pancreatitis, bloat, the ingestion of a foreign body, an obstruction, etc., to name a few causes. Unfortunately, you are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home; I am sorry. I recommend having Lucy seen tonight by an ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination and testing to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment for Lucy will be based on examination and test results. If you do not have access to an ER vet this is what you can do until she sees a vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. It is best to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours, give her a small amount of water. Wait for a half-hour; if no vomiting, she can continue to have water. Leave her without food for 20-24 hours, then feed her a small amount of rice (50%) mixed with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days, then wean into her regular diet.

Customer
If there was a small piece of bone that broke off and swallowed, will it pass?

It depends on the size, but, yes, dogs can digest and pass bones in the feces.

Customer
We live about 60 minutes from an emergency vet. She is definitely uncomfortable so I think we will just get in the car and go. Thank you

If she is uncomfortable and you see abdominal distention, I recommend a visit tonight to an ER veterinarian. It is best to err on the side of caution.

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome.

Good afternoon. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow-up questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to assist you.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Customer
She's doing well. Following your recommendations. Did not need an ER vet visit. Thank you

That is great. I am happy to learn she is doing well.

You're welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Peter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.