My dog looks to have a bite on her ear it's been sore for about a week and a half and it's swollen very large what can I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog looks to have a bite on her ear it's been sore for about a week and a half and it's swollen very large what can I do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the dog lick the skin as well?
Customer: No as the bite is on the ear and can't and the swelling came up about a week ago
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bonnie and about 10 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing I can think of
Answered by Rhett Burch in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Rhett Burch
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! I am sorry your pet is having problems. My name is***** I am a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer. Thank you for visiting the site. I hope to be of great help to you. Please give me 10 minutes to consider your pet’s case and respond.

What have you tried so far? Is your pet taking any medications? How long has this been going on? Does your pet have any preexisting medical conditions?

Could you send a picture of your pet’s problem? Take a picture with your phone/tablet. You can try texting it to me. Press the camera or paperclip symbol by the chatbox where you type. Or press the “Add Files” button. Then select your photo(s).

Customer
but I won't be back where she is for about 20 mins
Customer
with trying things all we have done is kept it clean

It could be allergies or an infection. Take your pet to the vet if you can. If not, shave the surrounding fur with clippers like this picture. Apply a small amount of Hydrocortisone/Benadryl ointment and an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin to the sore once every 12 hours for 7 days. These drugs are safe as long as your pet does not lick it and ingest a significant amount. So only use a small amount.  Or you could use an antiseptic spray with chlorhexidine. Call your local pet store and ask if they have something like it. Also, give your dog 1mg of Benadryl per pound once every 12 hours. Finally, put an e collar (cone) on your pet to prevent licking. You can get one from your local pet store too. If that doesn’t help, let me know or go to a vet. Do you have any questions about what I said?

Customer
File attached (4V76VPL)

Swelling in the ear usually indicates an Aural Hematoma. This happens from trauma to the ear from head shaking or getting bit on the ear by another dog. It will go away on its own after 2 weeks but there will be scar tissue and the ear will look slightly deformed. It can look like a cauliflower ear in humans. The only way to avoid this is to get surgery done at the vet. The vet will place a drain in the ear for 10 days. Your dog will leak a small amount of blood during that time but it can be bandaged to keep it clean. There is no way for you to drain it at home. If you do, it will fill right back up within a few minutes.

Thanks again. Let me know if you think of any more questions or need more help with your pet’s case.

Customer
Thanks mate I will get her to the vet
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rhett Burch
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rhett Burch
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.