Our dog has some bleeding from the her rectum and it looks like a swollen rectal area/bulbous in nature. We noticed

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our dog has some bleeding from the her rectum and it looks like a swollen rectal area/bulbous in nature.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the dog bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: We noticed blood on the floor and noticed about an hour ago. We cleaned the area and it’s been spotting/dripping
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lily and she’s 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I do have a picture of that would help
Answered by Dr. Peter in 7 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Lily; I am sure you are concerned. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Does she have diarrhea?

Any pre-existing medical conditions?

A picture would be great! Can you post it on this chat?

Are you there?

Without the information I requested in my previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps. Many different medical conditions can cause rectal bleeding. If you see swelling, a common cause is an infected/impacted anal gland. Other causes are infection, inflammation of the colon, etc., to name a few causes. Unfortunately, you are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home; I am sorry. I recommend having Lily seen by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination and testing to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment for Lily will be based on examination and test results.

Please get back to me with more details so I can help you further.

Customer
Dr Peter…thank you for your time. We went to an animal ER/Urgent Care in our area. The DVM said that it looked like a ruptured abscess just above the rectum. He said usually you see them to the sides of the rectum. After exam, cleaning of area he gave us Clavamox 259mg q8hrs, 21 tabs-7days and see regular vet in 4-5days.
We were in route to ER when I sent a picture and some other information. It sounds like you never received it…sorry about wasting your time. It was an 8hr wait but that’s how. It is…true emergencies first..and they kept coming. We were regularly triaged and Our dog was in no acute distress….Thank ever so much for your valuable time.

Hello, again. Thank you for the update. I am happy to learn Lily is doing well.

Dr. Peter

Thank you for visting Just Answer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Peter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.