My dog keeps shivering and I think he has a fever plus he sticks her tongue likes she’s thirsty. I notice it last night,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog keeps shivering and I think he has a fever plus he sticks her tongue likes she’s thirsty
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the dog had this fever? How is her appetite?
Customer: I notice it last night , she’s still eating ok
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** shes a shih tzu she’s 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Well this morning she looked she was really in pain so I gave her some ibuprofen
Answered by Dr. Peter in 16 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Bella; I am sure you are concerned. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Any vomiting, diarrhea, or coughing?

Any pre-existing medical conditions?

How much does she weigh?

How many milligrams of Ibuprofen did you give Bella and how often?

Customer
No vomiting or diarrhea, she does have a small cough . She weights about 11 pounds and gave her about 500 ml ibuprofen yesterday

Do you mean 500mg?

Can you take her rectal temperature?

Are you there?

Customer
I meant 500 mg I can't take her rectal temp I do not have a thermometer
Customer
I'm here

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to type your answer.

Customer
Ok ty!

I am sorry Bella is not feeling well. Many different medical conditions can cause Bella to shiver. Common causes are fever, pain, etc., to name a few causes. Her licking her tongue could be a sign of nausea. I am a bit concerned about her getting Ibuprofen 500mg. That dose for her weight could cause nausea, GI ulceration, kidney injury, etc., So, the Ibuprofen could be in part responsible for the symptoms you are seeing. I recommend having her seen tonight by an ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination and supportive care. If you do not have access to an ER veterinarian, start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Please do not give Ibuprofen or any other type of over-the-counter pain medication. Follow up with your veterinarian in the morning.

Customer
Ok ty!

You're welcome.

Good afternoon. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow-up questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to assist you.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Peter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.