UTI with crystals. It’s been going on since May and has been treated four times. They closed for the day and don’t open

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: UTI with crystals. It’s been going on since May and has been treated four times
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the UTI yet?
Customer: They closed for the day and don’t open until monday
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lily and she’s 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No other that this UTI she’s healthy
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

-Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Lily has issues with chronic urinary tract infections.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

Customer
Ok I'm not sure how I can treat her at home but ask your question

-What symptoms is Lily having?

Customer
Frequent urination. Crystals she's been treated four times since May
Customer
I can see the Crystals
Customer
Urine smells like chicken
Customer
Dr. Leigh?

-Can you send a picture of what you are seeing? Urinary crystals are microscopic, so I would like to see what you are seeing.

Customer
It's on the piddle pad. I shined a light and used a flash light
Customer
The last urinalysis she has crystals. I told them first because I saw them glowing in the sunlight.
Customer
But they assured me the infection cleared
Customer
If you can't prescribe antibiotics to my pharmacy for her I'm going to have to take her to the ER tomorrow. She completed two rounds of Baytril and two round of Clavomox.

-Crystals do not cause urinary tract infections. They are the result of urinary tract infections in most cases. In some cases, they can precipitate in the urine and cause bladder stones.

-If Lily is having recurring urinary tract infections, she should have additional testing to try and determine why. This can include urine culture, full blood work, abdominal radiographs, abdominal ultrasound or die studies to be sure her urinary plumbing is correct.

Customer
Okay I'm not confident with the hospital I used in the past. I'm new to the area

-I am sorry, as I mentioned in the introduction, veterinarians are not permitted to provide telemedicine in most states. We are required to perform an in-person examination to prescribe medications.

-It sounds like getting her to the ER is going to be the best bet to control her current signs.

-She probably needs more work-up to try to resolve this problem.

Customer
Ok thanks

I'm probably not in the same area of the country you are, so would not be able to recommend a veterinarian.

-it would be a good idea to ask friends who they have used in the past.

Do you have any other questions?

I hope you were able to find a veterinarian to help Lily. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Customer
I took a sample to the vet this morning. I'm confident she has crystals. Thank you for being available when I panicked.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.