I have a feeling I am losing my almost 3 week old preemie bernese mountain dog puppy. She was born weighing only 5oz and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a feeling I am losing my almost 3 week old preemie bernese mountain dog puppy. She was born weighing only 5oz and at day 3/4 mom rejected her completely. I had to step in and since then it's been every 2-3 hrs of bottle feeding 24hrs a day. I keep her in a warm incubator and at day 9 she got so weak and kept spitting up milk so I had to start tube feeding her. I tube fed for 5 days straight, and a lot of touch and go moments. Day 14 she was strong enough and took a bottle again for the first time since being tubed. She has always pooped and peed very good throughout this time. She was doing great, eating sometimes too fast so I changed the bottle to a slower flow, but she had energy and fight to her. Yesterday I took her to the vet (yesterday Oct 22nd) because she wasn't pooping everytime she ate and then got very bloated and stayed that way. They tested her stool for worms and she was clear but they did give her an enema and she pooped a lot. He said she was backed up. So he sent me home with another enema in case it continues. Things took a turn for the worst last night and she started foaming out the mouth and wouldn't eat. This lasted all night long, she struggles to eat and breath and is back to not wanting to poop. She wakes up crying sometimes like she's in pain. She weighs 18.50oz now and is 19 days old today (23rd). I thought she was out of the woods but she truly is not. I gave her some karo syrup today with feedings and she perked up better, but is still struggling to breath sometimes and has foamed out the mouth about 20min after every feeding. I'm at a loss, the vet said she will either live or die and I am trying my hardest to keep her alive. I've been to the vet several times and not much they can do for her except euthanize her. That is a complete last resort. I don't know what changed she was doing great until we visited the vet yesterday and got the enema. Do you have any suggestions as I feel she is slipping away and I don't know why???
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Olive
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There was only a litter of 3. One was still born and the other died at 2 weeks because of spinal injuries from mom. She is the last one surviving
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

-Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Olive is struggling.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

Customer
Okay just let me know what other info you need. Thanks

-Did she have any vomiting or regurgitation prior to the difficulty breathing?

Customer
Nothing before the vet visit yesterday. Only a couple times she would eat too fast and breathe like she got a little milk in the lungs but I would slow her eating down. She never vomited or had foam out the mouth until last night.
Customer
She was doing extremely well until she got constipated and I took her to the vet and he gave the enema. Even when she was constipated she still pooped some but not a lot, ate good and had plenty of energy. I just don't know what's changed.

-It is possible she aspirated some material or even developed bacteria into the blood stream from the constipation.

-If there is an emergency clinic near you, I would recommend that you take her in for x-rays to see if she has pneumonia and if the constipation is resolved.

-Do you have any more questions?

Customer
Okay thank you, ***** ***** have to look up emergency vets in the area and get her seen again.

-That is the best option given that she is so young. Respiratory distress can become very serious quickly, especially in the little ones.

-I hope the information was helpful and Olive will feel better very soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

Customer
thank you

You're welcome.

I hope you were able to find a veterinarian to help Olive. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Customer
I did. Vet says she may have a liver shunt but we are going to do more testing before diagnosis.

I'm so glad she is still hanging in there.

Customer
Me too, thanks so much!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.