My dog has a history of pancreatitis (no flare ups for the past 2.5 years). He’s on a strict diet that consists of rice,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello! My dog has a history of pancreatitis (no flare ups for the past 2.5 years). He’s on a strict diet that consists of rice, chicken breast, and royal canin dry food (the one with low fat). Today he ate about 2.5 ounces of slow dried beef jerky (which contains roughly 1000mg sodium). What do you recommend? So far he’s behaving normal. He ate it sometime between 2 and 5pm.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 30 lbs
JA: Has he thrown up since eating the jerky?
Customer: nope. Behaving as normal except went poop inside but the stool was normal. He usually doesn’t go inside so I’m guessing he couldn’t wait.
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Baxter, age 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that he has a history of pancreatitis but I mentioned that in the first message :)
Answered by Rhett Burch in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Rhett Burch
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! I am sorry Baxter is having problems. My name is***** I am a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer. Thank you for visiting the site. I hope to be of great help to you. Please give me 10 minutes to consider your pet’s case and respond.

Give 20mg of human over-the-counter Famotidine (Pepcid AC) from human drug stores that may prevent an upset stomach. If your pet starts vomiting or not eating within 12 hours let me know or see a vet. Do you have any questions about what I said?

Customer
I do not. Thank you! Do you think I should be concerned more than a normal level since he's had pancreatitis in the past!
Customer
Hi

He will probably be okay.

Customer
Ok good. At least he didn't eat TOO much but it is pretty salty jerky
Customer
I will keep an eye on him. I'm just glad I know the signs to look for if his pancreas starts to flare up

You are very welcome. I wish I could do more. Let me know if you need more help. You can still chat with me later. I hope your pet recovers soon! Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer
Ok sounds great. Thanks for the info

Thanks again. Let me know if you think of any more questions or need more help with your pet’s case.

Customer
Thank you! He threw up a little bile Saturday but otherwise has acted completely normal. Would pancreatitis have flared up by now?
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rhett Burch
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rhett Burch
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.