My dog accidently ate a setraline. 50 pounds. She has not id say 15 minutes. Mable 2. No ma’am

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog accidently ate a setraline
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 50 pounds
JA: When was this? Has the dog thrown up since eating the Sertraline?
Customer: She has not id say 15 minutes
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mable 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No ma’am
Answered by Denise Nelson in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Denise Nelson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi - Doc Nelson here with JA! I have been a vet for over 30 years. Please be patient with me as I type up my replies as I don't type very fast!

Customer
My dog ate or we think she ate a 50Mg setraline
Customer
I just need to know what to do ASAP

I'm sorry this has happened with Mabel! Sertraline is used in dogs, so this is not a toxic dose for her

Customer
what do I need to do?

You could try to induce vomiting if you want to, but I don't really think it's necessary

if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide on hand, I can give you instructions

Customer
Okay so she's on cephalexin 500 Mg
And sucralifate tabs I just don't know if they will interact?
Customer
I have peroxide!

Do you mean whether the Sertraline will interact with the Cephalexin or Sucralfate? No, it won't.

Customer
that's what I was wondering!
But should I induce vomiting?
Customer
I want to make sure she'll be okay

I don't think it is necessary as this would be a normal dose of this medication for a dog her size, so she should be fine. I can give you instructions to induce vomiting if you like though

Customer
can I have those instructions please

Give 3 tablespoons of the peroxide, then take her outside and run her around a bit to get the peroxide foaming up in her stomach

If she does not vomit within 15 minutes, you can repeat it one time. Please let me know whether she vomits or not, okay?

Customer
Okay
Customer
We're running right now

Sounds good, please let me know if she vomits

Customer
Okay!
Customer
She vomited a tad!
Customer
Just now

That's great! If she does not vomit more within 15 minutes of when you gave the first dose of peroxide, then give her another 3 tablespoons of the peroxide and run her around again

You likely won't actually see the pill in the vomit, but it should be removing some of the drug from her system

Customer
Okay we're going to run a little more and see what happens

Symptoms to monitor Mabel for would be agitation, staggering, incoordination, muscle tremors, weakness, extreme lethargy, excessive panting, rapid breathing, or difficulty breathing. If you see any of these symptoms then you need to bring her to a local ER vet for continued treatment, but I am honestly not expecting to see any severe adverse effects from this. Withhold food for 6 hours to allow her stomach to settle back down. She can have small amounts of water but don't let her drink large amounts or it may cause her to vomit more. I have to help someone else, but I will be online for the next few hours if you have any questions or concerns. If Mabel is asymptomatic 2 hours from now, then she is going to be just fine!

Customer
She's acting normal
Hasn't vomited anymore but has been pooping a couple times
Customer
She just threw up ALOT

You can repeat the peroxide, or just continue to monitor her - I really think she will be fine!

Customer
Like she threw up all her dog food she ate tonight

That's perfect! No more peroxide then, and let her rest. Great job! I do expect Mabel to be just fine for you!

Customer
Thanks so much!

You're very welcome!

Customer
Just going to show you a picture of Mable

Thank you - she is really cute!

Customer
She's just laying around now
I can tell she doesn't feel the best after throwing up
I have sucralfate to coat her stomach should I guess her a pill?

Yes, that's an excellent idea! She may be a little sleepier for up to 24 hours.

Customer
okay her instructions are half a pill should I keep that same doasage?

You could give Mabel a whole tablet tonight, and then return to her normal dosing schedule.

Customer
Okay
Did you mean she will be more tired because of the stomach medicine or the setraline?
Customer
Just trying to clarify

She may have absorbed a small amount of the Sertraline into her bloodstream before she vomited, so that could make her a little sleepier.

Customer
Okay

Please message me tomorrow with an update on how Mabel is doing, I think she is going to be just fine!

Customer
Thank you I hope so!

You are most welcome!

Customer
Hello.
Customer
After last nights episode mable is acting normal but she will not pee and hasn't peed since last night I'd say?

I'm so sorry I could nor respond sooner, I ended up having to be off-line for an extended period of time today. Has Mable peed yet?

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Denise Nelson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Denise Nelson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.