We took our 4 month old, 20 pound, totally healthy pup to a really nice park. She was on leash and only on the grass. We

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We took our 4 month old, 20 pound, totally healthy pup to a really nice park. She was on leash and only on the grass. We watched her very carefully, but somehow she ingested something.Thirty minutes after leaving the park she started to have a slight dry hacking cough, but didn't see to be bothered by it. We then got in our car to drive home and after two hours she suddenly started to vomit. We got her out of the car where she threw up blood and started foaming at the mouth. She then collapsed and started bleeding profusely through her mouth and within 20-30 minutes she was dead. WORST thing we have ever experienced!!!! My question is, what type of poisons could she have swallowed that killed her that fast and that hideously?
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, we are just trying to figure out what she could have possibly ingested.
Answered by Courtney Burke in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Courtney Burke
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

I'm Dr. Burke and I will try and help.

Give me a few minutes to read over your response and to formulate a response.

Thank you.

Customer
OK, thank you!

I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy, I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now.

Did she have any trouble breathing during the entire period of time?

Did you witness her ingest something, or are we presuming she ingested something? I just want to make sure I have an accurate idea of what happened.

Customer
She all of sudden got a little bit anxious and started kissing us and then instantly went down hill. We did not witness her ingesting anything.
Customer
What I want to know is what could she have ingested that would kill her (with lots of bleeding) that rapidly.
Customer
No, she didn't seem to have trouble breathing, she just started vomiting, collapsed and bled to death.
Customer
It was HORRIFIC!

My immediate reaction to this is that she didn't ingest anything. Other than blue green algae, which she would have gotten from a pond, there isn't much that can cause such a rapid death.

We can see dogs that have blood clots which can cause rapid death... they will pour bloody fluid out of their lungs through their mouth after they stop breathing. It is often associated with a cough, then gagging/vomiting, then death very quickly.

I'm sure it was horrific, and I'm so sorry you had to witness something like that, and that your puppy had to go through that

Customer
there isn't really a poison that would have caused those symptoms? Rat poison? Prescription drugs?
Customer
Mushroom?
Customer
Why the hacking cough which she had never had before?

Rat poin takes days to manifest in bleeding, and you will see lethargy 12+ hours before heath, prescriptions drugs would lead to neurologic symptoms like falling over, not bleeding. Mushrooms can cause GI, neurologic or liver failure... not sudden death.

The hacking cough most likely started because her lungs were filling up with fluid.

This is only mu opinion and you would need a necropsy to know for sure what happened. Your local vet may be able to assist you with this.

Customer
Thank you Courtney.

Your welcome, and again, I'm so sorry this happened.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Courtney Burke
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Courtney Burke
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.