She’s had diarrhea and been vomiting for two days. When she went to the bathroom we just noticed a little blood in her

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She’s had diarrhea and been vomiting for two days. When she went to the bathroom we just noticed a little blood in her poop.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A great dane
JA: Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: its was bile but had some food
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: not that I’m aware of she o lu goes outside for the bathroom and comes back inside
JA: And what's the Great Dane's name and age?
Customer: Ziva 8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she isn’t eating very much and she will usually eat any table food and she can’t hold her poop in it kinda just has been coming out when she’s walking cause it’s so liquidy
Answered by Heather Stout in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Heather Stout
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, this is Heather LVT, RVT , I have over 15 years of experience in small animal and emergency vet med. I am happy to assist you today!

JustAnswer always offers a phone call for an additional charge; please feel free to accept or decline as you see fit.

As JustAnswer policy states, due to state law, vets cannot prescribe any medications via the internet without a physical VCPR (vet-client-patient-relationship) so if prescriptions are recommended, you can get these from your family vet.

This sounds like it could be serious. There could be many things going on such as pancreatitis,  I would get your pet in to see the veterinarian as soon as possible. if going to the veterinary clinic is not possible. You can give Metamucil which is a fiber supplement that can help firm up the stool. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. If you don't see improvement of symptoms within 12 to 24 hours, or if symptoms worsen, please take your pet to the closest veterinary hospital.

Customer
The emergency would not see her
Customer
I wanted her to be seen
Customer
They said 8hr wait and would not see her. They said it can be normal but this is not normal for her

I would agree its not normal. you can try the pepcid and see if they can get you in tomorrow.

Customer
How much Metamucil and pepcid should I give her
Customer
She weighs around 100-120 lbs

60 mg pepcid and about 2 tablespoons of metamucil.

Customer
Thank you

you are very welcome and hopeful you can get her seen soon.

Customer
We are going to try. The emergency vet said they wouldn't see her because it sounds normal and they have worse off animals that take priority.

I am so sorry about that. I wish I could do more

Customer
It's okay, we appreciate all your help.

I wish you the best

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Heather Stout
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Heather Stout
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.