I started to notice my dogs seems a little bit weaker on her back legs. It started last week and she does run alot on

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I started to notice my dogs seems a little bit weaker on her back legs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the dog's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: It started last week and she does run alot on concrete around the pool (which I stopped) so her toe was bleeding yesterday, but I think its her legs and not her feet...
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kona, 8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My dog is extremely skittish (resure dog) so its hard to get her into a vet in person
Answered by Courtney Burke in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Courtney Burke
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

HI,

I'm Dr. Burke and I will try and help.

Please give me a few minutes to read over your responses and to formulate a reply.

Thank you.

Customer
Hi, thank you.

Thank you for your patience.

I'm sorry to hear that your having some health concerns with Kona.

Do you notice that it seems to be worse in the morning, and gets better after walking for a while? Is it it constant?

Customer
It seems to be pretty constant, when she does walk faster or run (which I try not to let her right now) it does go away or you cant tell as much. She also doesnt seem to be in any pain, I can rub her legs and hips
Customer
Her toe nails on her back feet are very short and one was bleeding two days ago. Its very hard to stop her from running wild in my backyard. And she swims everyday. I dont know if it could be because of her toenails being so short right now?

I'm wondering if it is because they do actually hurt so she is being a bit more cautious while walking. Given that this just started I would keep an eye on it, and see if it doesn't resolve on it's own. I think your doing the right thing by keeping her as calm as you can. This is the treatment with any injury.

If it continues... make sure you get a video of how she is walking and have her evaluated in person by your vet. I wouldn't give anything OTC as this could be harmful for her.

Customer
what is OTC
Customer
oh over the counter
Customer
sorry ok thank you. Does this service have any reccomendations for vets that work with extremely scared dogs. (she usually has to be sedated at the vets office before they will touch her

Yes... Over the counter.

We work from all over the country so hard to tell who would be good for your dog in your area... When you call ask them if they are a fear free certified clinic, or practice fear free techniques. Given her history the video of how she is walking at home will be very important as they may not be able to get the full visual while in hospital if she is that scared.

Customer
thats actually perfect I never thought of a video to show them. Thank you SO much
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Courtney Burke
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Courtney Burke
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.