He has a runny nose and sneezing. He is a Small breed dog. Shicon (Bichon/Shitzu mix. He is still drinking, eating but

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He has a runny nose and sneezing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He is a Small breed dog. Shicon (Bichon/Shitzu mix
JA: Has the dog been eating and drinking normally? Have you taken his temperature?
Customer: he is still drinking, eating but not as much as he normally does. I don’t have a thermometer to check his temperature
JA: When did this congestion start? Has the dog been licking or scratching his skin as well?
Customer: no licking or scratching. Yesterday
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Yogi and he is 7.5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Yogi. It appears that he is suffering from the canine infectious respiratory disease complex ("kennel cough"), particularly if he had associated with other dogs within 3-10 days, the incubation period for that complex. In most cases, these dogs will go into remission within 1-3 weeks unaided and so I rarely treat them with antibiotics. If they worsen instead of improving in the week following the onset of their symptoms*, your vet can prescribe one of the antibiotics of choice - doxycycline or amoxicillin/clavulanate. If coughing arises, the vet might also send home a narcotic cough suppressant. It's best to avoid over the counter cough suppressants which usually contain dextromethorphan and alcohol - neither of which are recommended in dogs due to lack of efficacy and toxicity at higher doses. You're likely to find that a teaspoon/tablespoon (small/big dog) of honey every few hours will be more helpful in controlling coughing.

*Worsening can also indicate the less common canine influenza which is more likely to progress into pneumonia than does this complex.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.