My dog has eaten around 800mg of ibuprofen, should I be concerned? 12kg. She ate it around 2 hours ago but has had

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog has eaten around 800mg of ibuprofen, should I be concerned?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 12kg
JA: Has the dog thrown up since eating the ibuprofen?
Customer: no, she ate it around 2 hours ago but has had diarrhoea
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: bella and she’s 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by Janie in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Janie
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** von Waldburg. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help you and your pet today. Please know that vets are not legally able to prescribe any medication without an in-person exam. The system may generate a phone call offer but I am not able to speak on the phone at this time. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Customer
Okay thankyou

That is a lot of Ibprofen for such a small dog. I would be worried about her liver and kidneys. It would be a really good idea to go into the ER vet and get further treatment.

Customer
What happens if we cannot get her to a vet? Can we do anything for her now until the morning?

No, she needs IV fluids, activated charcoal and labs at the very least. You can only induce vomiting if it has been less than an hour after ingestion. That medication is usually absorbed in 20-30 minutes. I would go to the ER.

Customer
Okay, thankyou for your help.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Janie
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Janie
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.