I believe my dog has tapeworm what can he take until he an appointment with a vet. About a week. No vomit recently no

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I believe my dog has tapeworm what can he take until he an appointment with a vet
JA: The Vet will know if the dog can take that. How long have you been concerned about the tapeworm?
Customer: about a week
JA: Has the dog vomited recently? Any signs of blood in his stool?
Customer: No vomit recently no blood in stool.. he does eat real fast almost voimits
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: 1.5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I been finding little segments around the house and I believe he brought me a tapeworm I took a picture
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I would like to see the pic, please. You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

This looks much too large to be a tapeworm. Flat and segmented (look like little boxcars) worms that dry up to look like little pieces of rice are tapeworms and you can purchase an over the counter wormer containing praziquantel* and give it just once. You'll need to optimize your flea control as well, as the most common cause of tapeworms is the ingesting of a flea containing a larval tapeworm.

*https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Tapeworm-Dewormer-weeks-older/dp/B00PXM1ONW?ref_=ws_cp_*****************2da_p_1_i_p

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.