My 2 yr old standard doodle seems to have light blood in her urine. She licks the area often.She eat, drinks, plays and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 2 yr old standard doodle seems to have light blood in her urine. She licks the area often.She eat, drinks, plays and sleeps well.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice there was blood in the Doodle's urine? Has there been an unusual smell too?
Customer: Mo smells. I noticed on her white fur on her legs some drips. It is very lt with a pink tinge. No
JA: Does she seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No she is very playful as usual.
JA: What's the Doodle's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Is there a cost for this advice?
Answered by Dr. Kay in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Kay
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Good evening, my name is***** to JustAnswer. I am so sorry to hear that Bella is having a urinary issue. I am happy to help and see if there is something we can do at home or if a vet visit is needed. Does she seem to be straining at all to urinate? Is she urinating more frequently and smaller amounts than normal?

Customer
She seems totally normal, drinking plenty of water and going our to urinate on a regular basis.
I noticed the drips on her back legs. I have since given her a bath and there are no more, however when she comes in after a pee I dabbed Harare with a paper towel and go a diluted pink liquid.
Customer
her area

Awe, poor girl. Thank you for that information. Do you mind if I ask if she is spayed?

Customer
she is.

Thank you so much. With the history of blood in her urine, I suspect Bella is dealing with a potential Urinary Tract Infection +/- bladder stones but I cannot rule out a mass in the vulva or vaginitis (inflammation of the repro tract) without seeing her in person. It is a bit more likely to be a UTI though based on her age.

--I think you need to get her to a clinic within the next couple days if at all possible, however, since she is acting normally otherwise, you might be able to wait a day or two with close monitoring and find out what's happening. A urinalysis and possibly a radiograph can help determine if it is a UTI and whether there is a complication of stones. A UTI can be treated with antibiotics and stones have multiple recommendations for treatment if present. The risk of waiting is that the urethra can become lodged with stones or inflammation or a mass can become obstructive. If that happens, and she is not able to express her bladder, the bladder fills until it ruptures, which is usually fatal. I do not think this is a risk at this point, however, it can change as well.

--I'd be sure she has free access to water and encourage drinking to help her stay hydrated while you work on getting an appointment. You can also start her on a urinary supplement like Crananidin to help decrease the pH of the urine and make some types of bacteria less likely to colonize the urinary bladder. Unfortunately, other than this, we cannot do much more from home without figuring out what exactly is causing this.

I know that is alot of information, do you have any questions about any of it?

Customer
Do I need a prescription for the crananidin?

No you don't! You can get this over the counter or another cranberry based urinary supplement. Most pet stores carry it.

Customer
Ok I will check our local stores. Thank you.

You are so very welcome. I am very much hoping she makes a speedy recovery. If you think of anything later that you would like clarified, please send me a follow-up message here.

Customer
Ok thank you.

You are very welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Kay
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Kay
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.