We took our dog on vacation first time and there are other dogs which make him nervous and he has been up every couple

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We took our dog on vacation first time and there are other dogs which make him nervous and he has been up every couple of hours trying to poop and it is runny and sometimes nothing comes out and now I see nlood
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the dog seemed more or less thirsty since this started?
Customer: less thirsty since nighttime
JA: Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: I think he got some table scraps
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: JJ and he is 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that’s it
Answered by KendallK79 in 12 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
KendallK79
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! This is Dr. Garrison. I am happy to assist you and your pet today! Please hold on one moment while I review the information.

Please be aware, although I am a licensed veterinarian, I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet.  Therefore,  I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you and advise you to seek medical attention.

Please feel free to disregard any requests for a phone call as those are automated requests.

I am sorry to hear that JJ is having diarrhea.  It certainly could be stress related, or related to the food that he got.  Let me type you up a few suggestions for at home care.  The blood is typically noted from inflammation.

Offer small amounts of water, pedialyte or gatorade to hep with hydration.  Offer bland diet (boiled chicken and rice, canned pumpkin) in small amounts to help heal the GI tract.

Pepto Bismol can be given at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds body weight every 4-6 hours to help with the diarrhea.  This can be given for up to 24 hours (it may make the stool darker)

Continue bland diet for 2-3 days  while stool becomes more formed.  If you continue to see blood, or he becomes lethargic, contact your veterinarian.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
KendallK79
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
KendallK79
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.