My dog was just prescribed simplicef (200 mg dose - 45 lb dog) for a UTI but she was just recently diagnosed with CKD

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog was just prescribed simplicef (200 mg dose - 45 lb dog) for a UTI but she was just recently diagnosed with CKD (stage 1-2). Is simplicef ok for her to take?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the UTI been a concern for the dog?
Customer: 48 hours
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jett - 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that she has chronic kidney disease
Answered by NicoletteS421 in 17 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
NicoletteS421
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there - my name is***** and I'm here to help with your question about Jett and the use of simplicef with early CKD. I'm sorry to hear she is not feeling well with a UTI! I'm hoping the medication will help clear the infection and get her to start feeling better.

Simplicef can commonly be used in dogs with UTI, even dogs with early stage CKD without serious side effects. However, I'm very glad you asked that question because there are precautions listed on the description of the drug itself. Because simplicef is excreted by the kidneys (filtered through prior to be added into the urine), cautious dosing of the medication should be done in animals with significantly diminished kidney function.

So long story short, this is probably one of the safest medications to use for an early CKD dog with a UTI. However, as Jett's CKD develops over time, we may consider using a different antibiotic for any reoccurring UTI's in the future :)

Customer
Thank you! She's always been prescribed 100mg and this time the vet prescribed 200mg. Any concern with the dose?
Customer
what other antibiotics are best for dogs with advanced CKD just so I know?

You know, I think that is an excellent question! I will be honest, I myself go with a different first line of defense antibiotic for UTI's (even with CKD dogs). Clavamox or Amoxicillin/Clavulonic Acid tends to be a bit more broad spectrum and concentrates more heavily in the bladder. It might be worth asking your vet if she would recommend using something else, especially since Jett was just diagnosed with early CKD.

Simplicef itself has a fairly wide dosing range (5-10 mg/kg). So it sounds as though your vet probably had Jett on the lower dose previously, and put her on the higher end of the dose this time (she did the 10 mg/kg this time). This is not a bad thing, just probably indicates that your vet is concerned about "nipping the bacteria in the bud" so to speak.

Customer
Thank you for this information. The vet is aware of Jett's kidney issues but I was just alarmed when I googled simplicef and saw that there were precautions for dogs with kidney disease.

Oh I absolutely understand your concern! I do the same things when I give new medications to my dogs. Simplicef is used for bacterial cystitis, but is not listed as a "first-line option" if that makes sense? I've seen it used commonly, but there may be some other more effective options to explore :)

Customer
Good to know. Thank you!

Of course! If you have any additional questions or concerns - even throughout getting the UTI cleared up, CKD questions, or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask :) Wishing you good luck!

Customer
I appreciate that. Thank you!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
NicoletteS421
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
NicoletteS421
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.