My corgi has been throwing up earlier it was foam now it's mucus. It started at noon. Possibly, someone else walked

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My corgi has been throwing up earlier it was white foam now it's white mucus
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has it been since the Corgi threw up?
Customer: it started at noon
JA: Could the Corgi have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Possibly, someone else walked him/took care of him bcs i was at work today
JA: And what's the Corgi's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 11 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I tried to give him some bone broth but he ended up throwing it up too
Answered by BrittanyB426 in 4 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
BrittanyB426
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there! Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is***** be aware I cannot diagnose without a physical exam but I will do my best to advise you today. I’m sorry to hear Yuki isn’t feeling well.
Customer
Hi Dr Brittany! Thanks for getting back to me
How is Yuki feeling otherwise? Does he want to eat and drink? Any diarrhea?
Customer
No diarrhea. I took him out after getting home and his poo and pee were fine
Customer
His energy level is as usual
Customer
we stopped by the dog park and he has energy to socialize and play
That’s good. Can you check to see what his gum color is? Should be a nice bright pink
Customer
but then he threw up 3x at the park so i took him home - where he threw up some more
Customer
His gum color is bright pink
Poor guy! Glad he is a good color. Has there been anything that he has chewed up in the past few days? Toys, garbage, laundry/blankets, furniture, etc?
Customer
He hasn't chewed up any of that stuff
That’s good!
Customer
I'm suspecting that he ate something when my boyfriend walked him while i was at work
The reason I ask is because that is the biggest thing I worry about in a young dog is vomiting, that they ate something they shouldn’t have and now it’s stuck, and then surgery would be needed
That very well could be the case and it caused quite the irritation in his stomach. Those puppies can be so fast on their walks
Customer
Oh, I see. Yuki has been fine everyday leading up to today.
Customer
Should I give him some food that would be easy on his stomach?
Customer
Or should I take him to an emergency vet to get an xray ?
Obviously the best advice I can give is that if you are worried, taking him to the emergency vet would be most ideal. But Since he hasn’t been vomiting long and is otherwise feeling ok, you can try a few things at home to see if he recovers first
Customer
What can I try at home?
I would recommend withholding food and water from several hours, and actually withhold food overnight. When you introduce water back to him, only offer very small amounts at a time (like a quarter cup every 30-60 minutes)
Customer
Okay. What about when I reintroduce food?
If he keeps the water down, then start offering small amounts of a bland diet (like a tablespoon every half hour) until he keeps all of that down die several hours. If no vomiting then you can increase the amount you offer
Customer
should he be on a bland diet for the day tomorrow?
For a bland diet, I recommend a protein source and a carbohydrate source. Protein-hamburger, chicken, or turkey, cooked well and then rinsed to get all fat off. Carb-white rice, white noodles, or potatoes, just no spices or oil/butter
I like to feed the bland diet until they haven’t had any vomiting for over 24 hours, then gradually mix in his regular foos
Customer
Got it! Thank you for your help
Customer
I'll be following your advice and monitoring him closely.
I would recommend taking him to the vet if he would never stop vomiting or start vomiting again, if he would stop eating/drinking, or become lethargic or seem like his belly hurts.
You are very welcome! I hope that this helps Yuki and he will be on his way to good health in no time!
Customer
Okay, will do!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BrittanyB426
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BrittanyB426
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.