My 6 month old golden doodle is breathing at 60 breaths per minute or more for the past hour or more. Rapid breathing

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 6 month old golden doodle is breathing at 60 breaths per minute or more for the past hour or more.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Golden Doodle's situation?
Customer: Rapid breathing while sleeping
JA: I know breathing problems can certainly be worrying. Does the Golden Doodle have a cough as well?
Customer: no
JA: What's the Golden Doodle's name?
Customer: Cheeto
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Cheeto?
Customer: she often eats things she shouldn’t, like socks or garbage. She ate a plastic bubble wand a few days ago. We tried making her throw up with hydrogen peroxide at the time but it didn’t work.
Answered by BrittanyB426 in 12 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
BrittanyB426
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there! I hope I can help direct you a bit- how is Cheeto feeling otherwise? (love the name by the way!)

Customer
She has seemed fine. I have a broken foot, so my kids have been taking care of her more. So, I don't know if she has had regular bowel movements, for example.
She is still breathing at least every second, sometimes more than once per second.

Does her breathing seem to take more effort, or does it seem shallow? I'm sorry about your foot!

Customer
Idk. Maybe shallow because it's so quick.

Ok, well it is good that it isn't obviously more labored. You are correct, 60 breaths a minute is much too fast for a resting dog as it should be under 24. They can breathe faster if dreaming, but not for such a prolonged time typically. Can you wake her up and see what her breathing does? Also, checking her gum color would be good-we want that to be a light bubble gum pink color

Customer
Her gums are pink. I'd say bubble gum pink. I have woken her a few times. She takes a few deeper breaths then goes back to the rapid pace.

Good, I am glad she is pink. And she is not panting, correct? Some dogs will "pant" with their mouths closed and just move air out the side of their mouths.

Customer
I don't think so. Her mouth is closed. She woke when I lifted her lips to check the color a little while ago.

With what you are describing I think it would be best to have her checked out by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Hopefully there isn't anything serious going on but it is best to treat breathing issues sooner than later.

Customer
Like wake the family and make an emergency visit tonight or first thing tomorrow morning?

If you are absolutely sure she is not panting then yes, I would recommend having her seen tonight. Obviously my biggest concern is that her airway or lungs are affected, but it could also be from pain (and with her history of eating things she shouldn't it is possible). It may be nothing serious at all but I would hate to tell you it is something that could wait and her health declines.

Customer
Ok. Thanks

You're welcome! Good luck and I hope Cheeto is okay!

Customer
She got up and started eating. Doesn't seem distressed.

Excellent! Then you could monitor her closely and have her seen in the morning if she continues to breath as such, or if you notice anything else wrong (like not eating, vomiting or diarrhea, or lethargy)

Customer
Ok. Thanks.

You are welcome! I hope Cheeto worried you for no reason and stays away from things she shouldn't eat!

Customer
Loved “You are welcome! I hope Cheeto worried you for no reason and stays away from things she shouldn't eat!”
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BrittanyB426
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BrittanyB426
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.