Im not real sure I seen something above her paw and I took a picture but not sure how to describe it. Mini Schnauzer. I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Im not real sure I seen something above her paw and I took a picture but not sure how to describe it
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Mini Schnauzer
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Schnauzer's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I just now noticed it
JA: When did the Schnauzer last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: a few months ago and no
JA: And what's the Schnauzer's name and age?
Customer: Kumi and 2.5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Kumi?
Customer: I don't believe so
Answered by Dr. Annie in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Annie
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I'd be happy to help you! My job here is to determine whether or not diagnostic tests need to be run or if we can manage things at home.

JustAnswer always offers a premium phone call for an additional charge; I am currently not available to talk via phone, but am happy to communicate via text!

Are you able to attach the photo that you took?

- Dr. Annie

Customer
I texted you did you get the image?

I have not received it! Could you upload it to this thread using the attachment funrtion below?

- Dr. Annie

Customer
give me just a min
Customer
File attached (ZS4Z2MS)
Customer
there you go, let me know if you have it

I got it now, thank you!

Has she been licking at it? Is this a front paw?

- Dr. Annie

Customer
its above her front paw and yes she has
Customer
we didn't notice it until tonight so it must be recent

From the looks of it, I'm worried that this may be something called a "Lick Granuloma" or also known as "Acral Lick Dermatitis." They certainly can pop up fairly quickly, and are a result of the pup continuously licking/chewing at that one area. This causes trauma to the skin and introduces bacteria.

Some of the causes include underlying allergies, boredom, underlying wound, underlying infection, etc.

I'll warn that they can sometimes be difficult to treat because a lot of them heal slowly, but the most important thing is to keep Kumi from licking it until you can have her seen by your family vet (i.e. "cone of shame"). I would not use a sock or anything to cover it, as that can trap in the bacteria and make it worse.

Once your veterinarian is able to determine that is truly what it is, they will get her started on some good systemic antibiotics and possibly anti-inflammatories to help it heal. They can also help you further figure out what may have started this in the first place.

I hope this helps!

- Dr. Annie

Customer
it does thank you very much!

You're very welcome!

- Dr. Annie

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Annie
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Annie
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.