He won’t stay still and keeps shaking his head. Today. Milo 1 year

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He won’t stay still and keeps shaking his head
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did this shaking start? Have you noticed any coughing, limping, or drooling as well?
Customer: Today
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Milo 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Milo?
Customer: no
Answered by Dr. Annie in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Annie
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I'd be happy to help you! My job here is to determine whether or not diagnostic tests need to be run or if we can manage things at home.

JustAnswer always offers a premium phone call for an additional charge; I am currently not available to talk via phone, but am happy to communicate via text!

Will Milo allow you to look at his ears?

- Dr. Annie

Customer
Barely

Is he scratching at the ears at all or trying to rub them on the floor?

- Dr. Annie

Customer
just the ears
Customer
rapidly breathing as well

Did the rapid breathing just start? This is definitely of concern.

- Dr. Annie

Customer
Yeah just started
Customer
maybe out of stress from the itching though
Customer
Hi

There are many possible reasons for him to be shaking his head, but the most common reasons are ear infections (bacteria/yeast), ear mites, and ear polyps/growths.

To differentiate between these, a vet will need to look down his ear & obtain an ear swab to look under the microscope to be able to know how to treat. It's also important for the vet to verify that his tympanic membrane (ear drum) is intact, as many medications can be toxic to the inner ear if the ear drum is ruptured. I would recommend calling your family vet to set up a time to have Milo looked at so that they can accurately diagnose the problem & get him on the right course of treatment to help him out!

In the meantime, you can clean his ears with cotton balls (if he allows it ) in order to remove some of the debris, just be careful not to clean too deep in the ear canal.

Keep an eye on his breathing as that is more a concern for me. I suspect with his young age that it is likely a stress response, but if it progresses or causes difficulty breathing, then I would bring him into the vet right away instead of waiting.

- Dr. Annie

Customer
Ok thanks

You're very welcome!

- Dr. Annie

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Annie
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Annie
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.