I have a 15 year old Terrier what congestive heart failure she overexerted herself yesterday pulling around one of the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi I have a 15 year old Terrier what congestive heart failure she overexerted herself yesterday pulling around one of the other dogs last night she could barely stand cuz of weakness in her legs today is better but still very unstable wasn't sure if there was anything I could do to help her or if I just have to wait she is currently on Lasix vetmedin and enlarapril
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the Terrier's legs/feet?
Customer: No Just weakness
JA: What's the Terrier's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lucy?
Customer: Do they need to know doses
Answered by Dr. Annie in 4 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Annie
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I'd be happy to help you! My job here is to determine whether or not diagnostic tests need to be run or if we can manage things at home.

JustAnswer always offers a premium phone call for an additional charge; I am currently not available to talk via phone, but am happy to communicate via text!

My top concerns for Lucy would be that she may have some muscle soreness/pain or possible weakness due to low blood pressure with her Enalapril.

Unfortunately, there are no OTC pain medications for dogs at this time, so I would advise calling your veterinarian to see whether they feel comfortable prescribing something or if they need to see her. My other concern with pain medications is that it is often an NSAID that is prescribed - without knowing what her kidney and liver values are at (being 5 yrs old), I'd have you chat with her veterinarian to see if any particular pain medication would be safe for her.

The second concern I mentioned was that potentially her Enalapril is working too well and causing some low blood pressure instead. Depending on when she last had her blood pressure checked, this may also be a consideration for the symptoms that she's exhibiting.

I hope this helps!

- Dr. Annie

* 15 years old, I apologize I mistyped.

- Dr. Annie

Customer
You missed the part where yesterday she over exerted herself causing the symptoms

I did see that and that would be where pain medications may come in helpful. We'd have to find something that would be safe for her to take, which your family veterinarian should know as they have a history and relationship with Lucy.

I apologize, I cannot take calls right now so I will opt out of this question for you!

- Dr. Annie

Customer
She not in pain
Customer
She had leg weakness
Customer
Meaning her blood is not making to her limbs
Customer
Because of over exertion
Customer
I know the enlarapril purpose is connected to helping blood pump and helping with blood vessels. She currently takes 2.5 mg
Customer
Can I give an extra dose to help
Customer
Or will it make things worse

I would not recommend giving her another dose of Enalapril without her first being evaluated, as we can get into some side effects. I'd go ahead and give her veterinarian a call as they may be better able to advise you based on Lucy's last bloodwork results and response to the medications she's currently on.

- Dr. Annie

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Annie
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Annie
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.