Lily is a four year old chocolate lab mix. She has been eating grass and vomiting for a number of days, and her stomach

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Lily is a four year old chocolate lab mix. She has been eating grass and vomiting for a number of days, and her stomach is making gurgling sounds. Is there something OTC I can give her?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: The times I've watched her it's been pretty bright yellow.
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: And yes, there have been times with the food in it.
JA: What's the Lab's name?
Customer: I don't think so...my wife gives her people food sometimes. Lily.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lily?
Customer: I don't think so. She gets very nervous and sometimes aggressive when I take her to the vet, so I was trying this way first.
Answered by Dr. Annie in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Annie
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I'd be happy to help you! My job here is to determine whether or not diagnostic tests need to be run or if we can manage things at home.

JustAnswer always offers a premium phone call for an additional charge; I am currently not available to talk via phone, but am happy to communicate via text!

Has Lily still been eating and drinking? How often is she vomiting per day?

- Dr. Annie

Customer
She usually puts off eating her breakfast for awhile. She gets dry food in the morning, and canned food for dinner. Typically once a day, but she had a day not too long ago that she vomited like three times.
Customer
still drinking.

Is she still having bowel movements?

How is her energy levels at home - lethargic?

- Dr. Annie

Customer
I feel like her bowel movements are regular. And she chases sticks as long as I'll throw them...so I think pretty good energy still.

It's good that she still has energy. Vomiting can be a vague symptom that may due to numerous different causes. It's important to rule out the underlying cause to make sure that things will not get worse if nothing is done. The most common causes include GI blockage (due to ingesting a foreign body), pancreatitis, gastritis (general inflammation of the stomach lining), etc.

As JustAnswer policy states, due to state law, vets cannot prescribe any medications via the internet without a physical VCPR (vet-client-patient-relationship) so if prescriptions are recommended, you can get these from your family vet.

Even though it is stressful for Lily to go to the vet, it is important to rule out some of these more insidious causes for vomiting so that appropriate treatment may be started if necessary. At the very least, I would recommend calling your family vet to go over her symptoms with them and see if they feel comfortable trying something OTC first, as they already know her and have a relationship with her.

I hope this helps give you some direction!

- Dr. Annie

Customer
Alright. Thank you.

You're very welcome!

- Dr. Annie

Customer
I'm Driving- Sent from My Car

Keep me updated on how Lily does!

- Dr. Annie

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Annie
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Annie
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.