Extended hard belly. New puppy, just got today but not sure if this is normal. Poop was normal although it did have

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Extended hard belly. New puppy, just got today but not sure if this is normal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation?
Customer: Poop was normal although it did have plastic in it
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: Just got the pup late today. No meds
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Dealla
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Dealla?
Customer: No
Answered by Dr. Sara in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Sara
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to JustAnswer! JustAnswer will automatically offer a phone call, but I'm happy to message you.

I am Dr. Sara and happy to assist you today! I look forward to helping you and your beloved pet!

Give me just a few minutes to type out a response.

JustAnswer is for advice. As JustAnswer policy states, legally vets cannot prescribe medications via the internet without a physical VCPR (vet-client-patient-relationship) so if prescriptions are recommended, you can get the medication from your family vet. We also cannot make a diagnosis. I will give you my best advice and support!

I am sorry to hear that your puppy has a distended abdomen. When was the last time it ate?

Customer
Im not sure. She just got home about 2 hrs ago. My husband didnt ask

Do you know if she was dewormed?

Customer
He was told she was wormed on 3/22
Customer
Nemex was used

Ok, thank you for that information. Usually, puppies have distended abdomens because they have eaten recently and/or have intestinal parasites. I am concerned that you saw plastic in the feces and I recommend if you are concerned more than she just ate, I recommend taking her to be seen. Can you send a picture?

Customer
Customer attachment 4/7/2021 1:07:55 AM

Have we been acting otherwise normal?

Customer
Hi

Ok, then most likely we have eaten a large amount of food and/or have intestinal parasites. With this information, I do not think you need to see a veterinarian tonight. I do recommend you make an appointment with your veterinarian and take a stool sample to make sure we are deworming with the appropriate medications. The abdomen should be going down in size over the next couple of hours. If he becomes lethargic, not wanting to eat or play, I recommend seeing a veterinarian at that time.

Customer
Fantastic. Thank you!

You are welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Sara
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Sara
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.