My yorkie pups are 9 days old. They had their tails banded with a string last Wednesday. Two of the tails fell off after

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My yorkie pups are 9 days old. They had their tails banded with a string last Wednesday. Two of the tails fell off after 4 days and look good . Two have not fell off yet but the tips are dead. Should I be concerned? What should I do?
Answered by DeanaS124 in 16 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DeanaS124
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi my name is*****'m an emergency veterinarian and I'm hoping to be of some help today. How many days ago were the tail's banded? and are the puppies behaving normally, eating and drinking with good appetite? If possible can you send me a picture of their tails?

Customer
They were banded 6 days ago. Here is a picture of the ones that fell off first . The last 2 I cut the dragging dead tip off but the black band is still there. They are the last 2 pictures. They are all growing, eating well and acting normal.
Customer
2
Customer
3

Is there any foul smell or discharge around the banding site of the puppies that still have the tails attached?

Customer
4
Customer
No it all looks fine

Great, I'm glad to hear that the sites look generally normal. It may just take a few more days for the remaining tails to fall off completely, if you feel comfortable you may also be able to sharply remove them just beyond (toward the tip) of the band site. In rare cases, if the sites take too long to fall off they can become infected and may require more intensive surgery for tail amputation. I think you should be ok to wait a bit longer but if there are any signs of infection such as pus-like discharge, swelling, pain, or foul smell, they should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible for antibiotics and possible surgical removal.

I hope this is helpful, Please let me know if there is anything further I can help you with!

Customer
Ok thank you very much
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DeanaS124
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DeanaS124
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.