My dog has been vomiting and has had diarrhoea for two days and is still not keen on food. She is 11 years old 🥺 My

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hey, my dog has been vomiting and has had diarrhoea for two days and is still not keen on food.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She is 11 years old 🥺
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Yes, my Husband fed her some rice which was slightly spicy. Akira
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She is just quite old that's all
Answered by DeanaS124 in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DeanaS124
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is*****'m an Emergency veterinarian and I hope to be of help today for you and Akira. Poor girl! Please let me know, how profuse is her diarrhea (is it constantly happening or is it just very soft when she is going?) and is there any blood in her vomit or feces? Also, when did she last eat and was she able to keep her food and water down? Lastly, does Akira have any previous medical problems that she is on medications for?

Customer
Hey Deana, many thanks for your response. It is very loose (liquid like) and although she has not been fed today, there are two stools. On the first day, there were close to maybe 10 all over the place. No blood in either. She was sick the first evening after but hasn't been sick since. She just won't eat ��
Customer
No medication and no previous medical.
Customer
She last ate 48 hours ago and she has been drinking water.

I see, I am so sorry she is feeling so sick! It does sound that she is have quite bad gastrointestinal upset, this can happen for many reasons - typically I think of these as either "within the GI tract" or "outside of the GI tract". Given that it has been several days without much improvement I would encourage you to seek out veterinary care to have bloodwork performed, other tests they may recommend are fecal examination and abdominal X-rays or ultrasound. At Akira's age we would want to make sure her organs such as kidneys, liver, and pancreas are functioning appropriately. Also, since she is not eating, they may be able to offer injectable treatments.

In the meantime you can attempt to slow her diarrhea by offering a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of canned pumpkin and a bland diet such as boiled chicken breast and white rice. Always have fresh water available for her and try to keep her calm and quiet.

I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DeanaS124
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DeanaS124
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.