He got into the bag of dog food and overate. Now his stomach is distended and his breathing is a little shallow while

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He got into the bag of dog food and overate. Now his stomach is distended and his breathing is a little shallow while he’s sleeping
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He’s 4 months old and a chocolate lab
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: ricky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ricky?
Customer: no
Answered by DeanaS124 in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DeanaS124
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi my name is*****'m an Emergency veterinarian and I'm hoping to be of help to you and Ricky tonight. What a naughty puppy eating all that food! Can you please let me know if Ricky has thrown up at all? And has he had any other medical problems since you've had him?

Customer
He hasn't thrown up and no he hasn't had any medical issues

Good! I'm glad to hear Ricky has been a healthy puppy. It sounds like he has given himself a mild food bloat, similar to you or me overeating at Thanksgiving. His heavy breathing and abdominal distention would be of concern if it persists or worsens over the next 10-12 hours. I'm happy to hear he is comfortable enough to be resting though. He should be fine, but monitor closely for worsening bloating or development of vomiting or dry heaving - if these are seen he should be taken to a veterinarian as he will need abdominal X-rays to ensure he has not twisted his stomach or ingested something that is causing a gastrointestinal obstruction. He may benefit from frequent short walks for the next 24 hours and I would withhold food for about 12-16 hours to give him time to digest, he should have access to water but be sure to prevent him from drinking large amounts all at once.

I hope this is helpful and I wish you and Ricky the best of luck! Please let me know if there is anything further I can assist with!

Customer
Thank you!

You are very welcome!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DeanaS124
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DeanaS124
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.