My dog was recently diagnosed with bladder stones, a few good size and many tiny ones, she also has had two UTIs in the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog was recently diagnosed with bladder stones, a few good size and many tiny ones, she also has had two UTIs in the last two months. She's a 4 and a half year old Goldendoodle and has a sensitive stomach, but has never been sickly until now. She takes a digestive enzyme, probiotic, and is on Acana duck and pear formula kibble. She's currently taking the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin for her UTI.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lulabel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lulabel?
Customer: I donr believe so. She weighs 58lbs.
Answered by Dr. Keto in 8 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Keto
18+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** I'm a veterinarian with 20 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you and Lulabel today.

So you know what type of bladder stones Lulabel has? Struvite is a common one, while calcium oxalate is the other common one. Does either one of these types ring a bell?

Customer
The vet we see did a urine culture and said a staff grew, but said she wouldn't know what type of stones unless they did a surgery to remove them. Previously she told me the culture would tell her, but that hasnt been the case with the reults she gave me, which didnt make sense to me. I am attaching a picture of the xray she took while in office last week.

Ok, great! An xray may be helpful to me.

Customer
File attached (17L47GP)

I received your photo! Please allow me just a moment to compose my reply.

Customer
Not a problem. Thank you.

Your vet is correct in that you cannot definitively tell what kind of stone that is until you remove them. However, just from looking at the xrays, those could be struvite stones, as struvite stones tend to be bigger, rounder, and in multiples like you are seeing.

Struvite stones are multifactorial, forming because of a combination of urinary tract infection as well as the way her body is responding to the food she eats. I don't have a problem with Acana, but it's probably not the right food for her urinary tract.

The fastest, most effective way to get rid of bladder stones is to have them surgically removed. The surgery itself would be brief, likely under an hour, and Lulabel would fully recover in a couple of weeks. Going forward, she will need to be on antibiotics until she has a negative urine culture, and will be put on a special diet to help further stone prevention.

If you opt not to do the surgery, IF these are struvite stones, they can dissolve with a special dissolution diet and antibiotics, but it may take months. In addition, if these are not struvite stones, they won't dissolve at all.

Did you have any specific questions for me?

Customer
That all makes sense and I appreciate your time and help. Is there another way to remove the stones, like laser, that isn't surgical?
Customer
Is there another type of food she should be eating, or that you prefer.

Unfortunately, unlike in humans, there is no laser or lithotripsy to get rid of stones. It's surgery or dissolution, with surgery being preferred.

If she were my patient, if she had the surgery, I would put her on Royal Canin Urinary S/O or Hills C/D after the surgery, or Hills S/D to try to dissolve the stones if that's what you prefer. All of those are prescription diets, so your vet would have to prescribe them for Lulabel.

Customer
Do you think we should keep giving her the digestive enzymes and probiotic?

The digestive enzymes and probiotic won't affect this, so you can keep giving them if you like.

Customer
Thank you for your time and help!
Customer
Customer attachment 10/13/2020 10:48:59 PM
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Keto
logo
logo
logo
18+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Keto
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.