I have a 1 year old male boxer who has had hives the past couple of days. He has had hives before here and there from

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello I have a 1 year old male boxer who has had hives the past couple of days. He has had hives before here and there from seasonal allergies so we would give him one benadryl and the hives would usually go away. But now even if I give him a bendryl they aren't going away.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the Boxer been licking or rubbing the hives?
Customer: No they are mostly on the top of his head, the top of his of his back and a little on the back of his hind legs.
JA: What's the Boxer's name?
Customer: Loki
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I suspect he might be allergic to our dry grass in the backyard but we figured that out months ago so we started walking him to the park to have him relieve himself and that seemed to work for a while but now the hives are back
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 5 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload photos of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer
Customer attachment 10/9/2020 1:50:41 AM

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

While these skin lesions could be hives and wheal, they can also indicate short hair pyoderma - bacterial skin infection usually caused by Staph. That might explain why the Benadryl isn't helping this time. Hives and wheals can come and go. Lesions (pustules, papules, roughly round lesions called epidermal collarettes which can crust) come but then take quite some time to resolve untreated. Which scenario have you witnessed, please?

Customer
It's been a few days and they haven't gone away so from what it sounds like I think it could be staph since the Benadryl isn't working. How would he have gotten this?

These skin infections are commonly secondary to allergic skin disease which affects the integrity of the skin. Treatment to eliminate the infection must come before addressing the allergy as allergy treatment can't be completely successful until the infection is well controlled.

Treatment at this time should consist of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing every other day in a 2-4% chlorhexidine- or 2.5-3% benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The antibiotic must be prescribed by an attending vet. You can find the shampoos over the counter where dog supplies are sold.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer
Besides the shampoo and washing him every other day and getting antibiotics from his vet, would a topical cream ease his itching? Would something like this help him or would it make it worse?

...f04.jpeg/e42.jpg should be avoided if only because it contains tea tree oil which is toxic to dogs

I believe using a topical cream for such extensive skin involvement would end up with a greased up Loki with no additional benefit over the shampooing and antibiotic.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer
Oh ok! Thank you this is all really valuable information you've been of great help!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.