My dog is having a hard time walking. She's 12 pounds and is about 13 yes old. She just started displaying weak rear

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog is having a hard time walking. She's 12 pounds and is about 13 yes old. She just started displaying weak rear legs the other day.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the dog's legs/feet?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Baby and she's about 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not really she can't even jump up on the bed and she just looks weird when she walks. Oh and she is peeing all over herself and house but she can control her feces.
Answered by Dr. Jessica Pet Vet in 33 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi I'm Dr. Jessica

What breed is Baby

Customer
Mix chihuahua

So my sister has 3 chihuahuas so it's definitely a loved breed in our family too.

Customer
10084;

Did she typically jump on and off of furniture?

Customer
Hi
Customer
I tried to make a video its hard to tell.

She looks ataxic in her back end

Customer
Thats what I thought...ill take her to a vet on tues. Doesn't look like she's in pain

So this typically happens when they have a compressed disc in the spine

We need to restrict her activity - no running, jumping or playing

Leash walks on a harness only and only to go potty and then bring immediately back inside

Kennel rest is key. If you have a kennel that she can rest in that is best as we do not want to put more pressure on that disc that is inflamed at this time

My guess is if her back was palpated that she would have some back pain on exam. I don't want you to press on her back as some pets will bite as they are too painful

Limit her activity and call your vet first thing Tuesday morning

If she starts dragging one of the back legs or cannot walk or begins to knuckle over on her back paws, then she needs to be seen at an emergency clinic right away

She looks happy in the video so fingers crossed she can wait until Tuesday!

Customer
I've rubbed her hips back and thighs and she has no pain.
Customer
Hopefully i think she can wait...thank you for your help..my daughters name is jessica.

When they are weak in the back legs it is usually in the back where the thorax meets the abdomen so at that little arch is where she would be painful.

Jessica is a good name ;-)

Customer
Thank you so much..
Customer
Are you here in calif?

I wish I was in california! I'm in Pennsylvania!

Customer
Oh nice well have a nice rest of evening. You've been a big help. ��

Thanks you too! enjoy the sunshine!

Customer
I always do...lol
Customer
Very nice vet. She was extremely helpful and recommended I take her to a vet. Thank you for easing my mind...Leslie Glass
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.